Votes: 67 55.4%
  • best avoided on TV

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • showcases the best of British humour

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • over playing her ability to fall over/down

Votes: 29 24.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Miranda Hart's Joke Shop is replaying on 4Extra. It has a few funny lines. Miranda's delivery and timing are poor. I'm not sure what the big deal is about her. She's just another not very good comic actor.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not sure what the big deal is about her.
It's partly that she's a funny woman who doesn't play to the typical stereotypes of submissiveness and delicacy. I'm not sure the sensitive minds of the cafe can cope with a bit of politics, but there was a piece in the Guardian last week that pointed out that Smack the Pony was the last time women were allowed to be silly on the telly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
me woman and daughter and her teenage friends (english ones) love miranda, I find moments funny, mrs browns boys, I really like, reminds me alot of dubliners and their humour and my own ma, not a million miles from mrs brown^_^ ...
Reminds me of some of my relatives a bit further north and I know my cousin watches it:laugh: .

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've never heard of her, then I googled the nae and I sort of recognise her, but I've never seen her shtick, so I can't vote.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I refuse to vote:stop:

I do like some 'awkward situation' embarrassing moments, but that's all that seems to qualify for comedy now....sorry I forgot Mrs Browns Boys (class).
Surely there must be some clever comedy writers out there or is just the TV companies that won't commission them :sad:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
?..Surely there must be some clever comedy writers out there or is just the TV companies that won't commission them :sad:

This.

The trouble with telly these days it's run by accountants and business men, and not by people who are entertainers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[

I must disagree, Father Ted is THE funniest thing ever. Yes they're stereotypes, but totally relatible to real people. If it was naturalistic, it wouldn't be funny.[/quote]

Having visited the west of Ireland it's clear that Father Ted isn't a sitcom but a documentary...

That apart, I saw a few snippets, and thought it weak, forced and frankly poor. Then some while later saw an entire episode - the rabbits one - and realised it was pure genius. The Greatest Sitcom of the All - certainly a contentender. I think my favourite remains the "Speed" send up with the milkfloat.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's partly that she's a funny woman who doesn't play to the typical stereotypes of submissiveness and delicacy. I'm not sure the sensitive minds of the cafe can cope with a bit of politics, but there was a piece in the Guardian last week that pointed out that Smack the Pony was the last time women were allowed to be silly on the telly.
Smack the Pony was excellent.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I must disagree, Father Ted is THE funniest thing ever. Yes they're stereotypes, but totally relatible to real people. If it was naturalistic, it wouldn't be funny.

Having visited the west of Ireland it's clear that Father Ted isn't a sitcom but a documentary...

That apart, I saw a few snippets, and thought it weak, forced and frankly poor. Then some while later saw an entire episode - the rabbits one - and realised it was pure genius. The Greatest Sitcom of the All - certainly a contentender. I think my favourite remains the "Speed" send up with the milkfloat.
I remember seeing the previews and thinking that it didn't sound particularly good. May have seen the end titles a few times waiting for something else. Eventually watched an episode visiting a couple of mates- it was the one where Father Jack ends up in a home on account of his hairy hands- and got into it straight off.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"there was a piece in the Guardian last week that pointed out that Smack the Pony was the last time women were allowed to be silly on the telly."
Not sure if it counts as 'silly' exactly, but there was a Scottish woman on Green Wing who was absolutely bat-shoot mad - and very funny.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
"there was a piece in the Guardian last week that pointed out that Smack the Pony was the last time women were allowed to be silly on the telly."
Not sure if it counts as 'silly' exactly, but there was a Scottish woman on Green Wing who was absolutely bat-s*** mad - and very funny.
She is my blue print for life.

I like her comedy but I very well understand those who don't. Majority of my friends are female and without them I probably wouldn't pay much interest to Hart's comedy.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I quite like her but think she's ridden that pony too far. She's 'Peter Kaye-ed' herself too early. Which is a shame because she had an originality that was amusing at first and showed great promise but she's not developed that too much. She relies on the confide-to-camera thing too readily and that's become old now.

Top Bottom