Miserable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
IMG_0810.JPG

It's true. not having a bike makes you miserable.

But not having to drive makes you very unmiserable. This can sometimes be down to being able to get pissed, but usually its because driving is awful, second only to actually being on a b**.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’m fairly open about mental health and I try and stay aware of my own state. It’s a new era don’t you know?

Cycling is a no brainer as @dave r alludes to in his post about endorphins. My interest is touring and Audax. Planning and prepping is very motivating. The ups and downs on the actual ride are something I am managing well. BUT after a long ride* I peak mentally from all the endorphins, the Type 2 Fun phenomena and sense of achievement, then about a day later I experience quite a depressing low. Depending on how tough the ride was this can last a day to almost a week. The black dog seems jealous he wasn’t paid any attention to. This is something I am training myself out of and I am aware of. It requires effort and more experience. I wonder what the professionals know about this phenomenon. Does anyone here know?

*I am an Audax newbie and still working on 200s (5 this season so far) and in July I’ll try my first 300. So still small stuff should you speak to the veteran riders.

D

Deleted member 1258

I’m fairly open about mental health and I try and stay aware of my own state. It’s a new era don’t you know?

Cycling is a no brainer as @dave r alludes to in his post about endorphins. My interest is touring and Audax. Planning and prepping is very motivating. The ups and downs on the actual ride are something I am managing well. BUT after a long ride* I peak mentally from all the endorphins, the Type 2 Fun phenomena and sense of achievement, then about a day later I experience quite a depressing low. Depending on how tough the ride was this can last a day to almost a week. The black dog seems jealous he wasn’t paid any attention to. This is something I am training myself out of and I am aware of. It requires effort and more experience. I wonder what the professionals know about this phenomenon. Does anyone here know?

*I am an Audax newbie and still working on 200s (5 this season so far) and in July I’ll try my first 300. So still small stuff should you speak to the veteran riders.

For me cycling is just part of normal life, I have no great highs or lows from it. In the past when I would do events like reliability trials, charity rides and the occasional audax I could get a feeling of achievement followed by a low from successfully completing an event. But it's the same in ordinary life, if you work towards a goal there's a feeling of achievement when you reach the goal followed by a low afterwards when you realise you've got nothing to work towards now and you need to set fresh goals.

Old jon

Guru
I was run off the road...door'd at speed. injured in the gutter then the truck backed up and flattened my bike. saving up for a new one so It'll take a little while. in 20 years that was the first bad accident and hopefully the last.

Ouch!!
Just short of three weeks ago I came off my new bike here in Brazil, broke a collar bone. The vet reckons six to eight more weeks for it to heal. Or about a fortnight before I return to England, where I have two bikes just waiting to be used. Frustration in triplicate!
Enjoy your new bike when it arrives.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I was run off the road...door'd at speed. injured in the gutter then the truck backed up and flattened my bike. saving up for a new one so It'll take a little while. in 20 years that was the first bad accident and hopefully the last.

Cripes! And you are in one piece? Well I hope you are.

How did the driver/drivers not end up compensating you? Surely there must be a forum bike we can build/magic up?

Heal well, and I'm sorry to hear about the bike :sad:

Top Bottom