Misheard song lyrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Simple minds Sanctify Yourself

i cannot hear the line:
On the big beat that lifelong romance is

As anything but:

On the baked bean of lifelong romances

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
So we're driving back from Wales when son no.1 plays his new ringtone otained from a friend. It's a James Blunt rip-off speeded up and I hear "Homeless on the streets giving hand jobs for crack".

Me: "What was that?"
"It's my new ring tone"
"Right. Do you know what that means?"
"Well no, not really". A pause.
"What did he say then?, says I.
"Homeless on the streets giving hedgehogs for cracks," says he. I could not contain a burst of laughter; mistake 1.
"Oh yeah, do you think hedgehogs are good for filling cracks," says I sniggering.
"Well no, it doesn't make sense, it's funny though."
"It doesn't make sense because that's not what he says." mistake 2.
"What does it say then?" I realize I'm in a cul-de-sac and the exit is blocked.
"I can't tell you, it's rude"
"Daaadd", "We've done puberty in school you know"
"Right. This isn't about puberty and I don't think I can explain it to you yet."
"You can't not tell me now......"

And he's right. It's sitting there like a big elephant everytime his phone goes. So, how do I explain this to a twelve and a 10 year old. I've dug the hole but.....I'm hoping one of his friends explains it to him :laugh:

Just tell him it's a mondegreen. Problem solved. :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Sweet Sensation's 'Sad Sweet Dreamer' lyrics sound to me like - ♫♪"Septicaemia, it's just one of those things you put down to experience.."♪♫

GC

Drago

Legendary Member
And another. As a wee bairn, I was confused when I first heard Bob Geldof caterwauling through I Don't Like Mondays. I mean, what the hell is a "cider head"? None of my friends seemed to know.

Last edited:
Mine was the Paul Young one as posted earlier but a favourite of someone else's (okay it's a hymn but it works) is: "Gladly, the crossed-eyed bear".

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Just remembered one I have been trying to forget all these years. In the opening lyrics to Britney Spears's 'Hit Me Baby One More Time', I thought she was singing

'Arbeiten beiten, how was I supposed to know?'

I always knew it couldn't be right, I mean, why would she be singing in German, unless that is what the class she was in at school in the video and had just discovered she had made a mistake? :giggle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom