Missing from radar screen - One Boeing 777

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
Many things could have happened.
Bomb- maybe if we find out who the 2 people were traveling on stolen passports
Structural Failure
Hijack suicide.
Either way we will likely never find out one thing is for near sure based on odds. They are all dead.

i've read the bulk of the thread
Bomb .... possibility - one of the 'noshows' changed his ticket at the last minute, a middleman bought the new ticket with cash, and has since disappeared
however the plane continued to fly after Last transmission according to radar

whatever - a tragic event

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Actually, a certain level of caution towards technology might not be such a bad thing for an air traveller. The next step from telemetry data from in-flight aircraft might be handing over control to a spotty teenager with a "brilliant" ability at computer games. I think I would prefer a captain with a million miles in the air, rather than a geek with a few meals in front of his monitor.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Old, but gives some information http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/trasnsportpop.html
Table 1: Relative annual and lifetime transport risk in UK, based on relative traffic and kilometers travelled
View attachment 39661
Very very old. The cyclist deaths are now about 110 per year, and the cyclist kilometres have rocketed.
@slowmotion - if that was the recent Guardian article about cycling in various cities the statistics it cited were complete junk. They are taken apart in the comments underneath. Sometimes per-trip stats are useful; sometimes per-kilometre. It depends on the context.

But I'm getting way off topic. There is plenty more information in the "Campaigning" forum.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I was in Strathclyde Police at the time of Pan Am 103 being blown up and crashing into Lockerbie. Had I been back shift, rather than early shift, I would have been sent to the crash site as happened to my back shift colleagues. When they returned from their 36 hour continuous shift, they had some horrific stories which would tend to point to some of the passengers surviving for at least a few seconds after the aircraft broke up. The after effects of Lockerbie on everyone involved are still being felt today; truly a horrific tragedy.
Horrendous for all involved, not least the emergency services.
I saw a lot of things as a nurse, but never anything on this scale, thank God.
I watched the programme on the anniversary of Lockerbie and I cried.....all those people still suffering today :sad:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Horrendous for all involved, not least the emergency services.
I saw a lot of things as a nurse, but never anything on this scale, thank God.
I watched the programme on the anniversary of Lockerbie and I cried.....all those people still suffering today :sad:
A few years ago, after my premature retirement, I was working for U.S. Airways at Glasgow airport as a passenger profiler. We had a female passenger, who - unusually - thanked me very much for doing my job. Turns out she had lost her daughter (Suzanne Miazga), a passenger on PA 103.
Mrs Miazga later married the now retired Lockerbie ambulance driver who had found Suzanne's body on the doorstep of the ambulance station.

ASC1951

Guru
I don't suppose you've got a link?
Sure have. I've seen the data elsewhere, but Wikipedia was easiest to find in a hurry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_safety
(I know this is the frivolous cafe, so it's an unreasonable question, but just for form's sake it would be good to know. Because my admittedly rusty memory is that per journey there's not a lot to pick between bikes, cars and walking, with trains some way in front.)
Very rusty, I'm afraid. ;)
Granted, you get different results per kilometre travelled, but deaths per journey strikes me as equally valid. "If I use this form of transport, how likely am I to die before reaching my destination?"

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I was directly involved in the immediate aftermath at Lockerbie and remember asking one of the pathologists about the likelihood of passengers being aware of their situation. She explained that there would be an initial loss of consciousness due to lack of oxygen then, after falling between 5,500 to 11,000 feet, some people would have regained conciousness for the remainder of their descent. The first body I came across was that of Suzanne Miazga, who had landed on her back on the narrow grass strip right at the door of the ambulance station.

The debris from Pan Am 103 was spread over an 80-odd mile corridor, with some being found over on the east coast of England, so I would expect that if a similar fate has befallen the Malaysia flight, such evidence will not take much longer to find - even at sea.

GC

spen666

Legendary Member
Is it co incidental that....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sure have. I've seen the data elsewhere, but Wikipedia was easiest to find in a hurry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_safety
Very rusty, I'm afraid. ;)
Granted, you get different results per kilometre travelled, but deaths per journey strikes me as equally valid. "If I use this form of transport, how likely am I to die before reaching my destination?"

Risk "per journey" only makes any sense if you're comparing the same journey by different modes. Otherwise you would be comparing (say) a walking journey to the paper shop, versus flying to Vladivostok to "prove" that flying is more dangerous.

ASC1951

Guru
Risk "per journey" only makes any sense if you're comparing the same journey by different modes. Otherwise you would be comparing (say) a walking journey to the paper shop, versus flying to Vladivostok to "prove" that flying is more dangerous.
I don't really care whether flying is 'more dangerous' than walking, and I'm not trying to prove anything. My point is simply that airlines always use one particular measurement because other methods give very different results.
The risks are still tiny for everything except cycling in the rush hour and motorbiking, neither of which I do any more.

Heres a theory of my own, what if the military had some idea of a terrorist on board, planning something along the lines of 9/11

Would they actually go up with fighters and shoot it down and in theory sacrifice the passengers and crew to save more on the ground, it appears the military have now stated they know the aircraft turned west, why would they say this now after the search planes and ships may have been looking in the wrong area............the plot thickens

Top Bottom