Misspelt bike ads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Marlins are quite fishy.

download-jpeg.jpg
That saddle does NOT look comfortable and the gears could do with a bit of a tuna-up.
It reminds me of my bicycle pro-fish-ency schooling days.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Don`t forget auto spell and word suggestion, today i was typing on my phone its forecast to blow a gale and after the word blow it suggested job ........

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
I've certainly picked up some absolute bargain used bikes where a poor description, photos, and/or spelling has worked in my favour.

Interesting observation about the army recruits. I can't say I'm surprised, as military service has always been an option for those whose civilian career choice might be somewhat limited.
Poor readers aren't good writers. I work with someone who can barely do either. He can't make any sense of any technical diagrams either. I suspect he's dyslexic and didn't achieve at school because of that, because he clearly isn't actually thick, and so long as he's working with someone who can deal with paperwork he gets on OK. You just can't leave him to get on with stuff by himself..
average reading age in the uk is 9…

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It is not just bike ads. I am currently keeping an eye out for a trailer tent and many are advertised with a photo which shows either they have no idea how to put it up or are extremely careless. Not conducive to further enquiries.
I once went to look at a bike which was advertised for sale locally. The owner had not even dug it out from the back of the garage somewhere but both tyres were flat and there was no pump available. No sale.
Not just amateurs tho'. I once looked at a Moulton in a shop in Dingwall which was being sold as the owner had died. Both tyres were flat and the shop could not be bothered to pump them up for me to have a test run.
On the subject of literacy I once employed a guy commonly known as Daft Davy as he could barely read or write. When it came to working out the odds on accumulator bets he was faster than any calculator and he found any mistake in his payslip instantly. That part of his brain worked ok.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
average reading age in the uk is 9…

Jesus, I think I had that reading age when I was about 7.:eek: That really is piss poor. When I started school they concentrated on the three R's. Feck knows what they concentrate on teaching the kids these days if the reading standard is that bad...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Jesus, I think I had that reading age when I was about 7.:eek: That really is piss poor. When I started school they concentrated on the three R's. Feck knows what they concentrate on teaching the kids these days if the reading standard is that bad...

What do the three Rs stand for?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
in fairness there are lots of people with english as a second language. but that i could read any language i've studied up to that level.

i work in social housing and our tenants' average reading age is 7.

tyred

Legendary Member
There was an add on the local Facebook buy and sell page for a "mounting bike," whatever one of those might be.:wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
average reading age is 7.

Another point is studies have shown even those with a more advanced reading age tend to prefer short, simple, sentences for their casual reading.

The psychology professor who ploughs through learned reports with lots of long words and multi-clause sentences wants the opposite when scanning advertisements or flicking through his newspaper.

The American FOG index calculates reading age by school grade.

It states texts requiring near universal understanding need a FOG index of less than eight, which would be roughly a 10-year-old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunning_fog_index

Top Bottom