Mobile car valeters and painting car wheels question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I tend to park as close to the kerb as possible,so eventually wheel trims get cracked or scratched and look scruffy. Also,they're abut 40 quid for decent ones. The Hammerite paint is 14 quid a tin and it'd give me something constructive to do. I don't think those steam cleans at garages are much good. They haven't lifted the dirt for me in the past and you have to keep feeding the machine with money seat after seat.
I would advise you to always park 6" away from the kerb for two reasons:
1) you are less likely to pick up rubbish on your tyres from the gutter and cause a puncture.
2) it is easier to steer away from the kerb without damaging your tyres and steering rack.

screenman

Legendary Member
Mrs SJ has a burgundy Suzuki Liana. Nice car the drive, but it's the ugliest slab we've ever owned.

View attachment 461480

You have been done, that car is silver.

screenman

Legendary Member
th?id=OIP.eVVIuJrjthRa1Vk7uHjrDgHaE9&pid=15.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I worked with a chap who innocently posted a picture of his car, on Twitter, 2 years ago. About a month later someone had cloned his number plate, attached it to a car of the same model and colour, filled the car with fuel and driven off from a petrol station, without paying. A visit from the police, later that same day, wasn’t enjoyable. Whilst it can’t be certain that was where they got the details from, the police advised it was more than likely.

I wouldn’t want my car reg being posted online, without my permission.
Cars were being cloned long before the internet.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If you must 'paint' the wheels, wire brush off and use a rattle can (you can get wheel paint). Physical brushing will look terrible.
I've used spray pain from a can before and it does tend to run, unless you know what you're doing. Spray painting is an art. If i use a decent brush to paint the wheels making sure there are minimal brush stroke marks it should look ok.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can achieve a perfectly good finish on steel wheels with ordinary household gloss, brushed on. As always it's all in the preparation and a decent undercoat although I painted my Landy wheels with Dulux Once in ivory straight on the rusty metal and they stayed looking good for years. The biggest problem is the inevitable dribbles that go through the holes or slots onto the inside of the wheel but those don't really get seen.

Top Bottom