Mobile phone - give it up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My neighbour can flush his lavatory using his mobile. I don't know how I've managed without this vital technology.
Is your toilet crapper, then?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
This is one of the reasons why I think mobile phones are a BAD thing!
When I'm away from work, my time is my own. I know this is becoming an old fashioned point of view, but when I walk out of the door, I really don't want to take my work with me. I like to think they get good value for money out of me during working hours and if they need me outwith those times then I am flexible enough to help out (when possible) - but I expect to be paid for it!!

It depends on the quality/severity of the out of hours stuff.

Some recent ones from my work are:-
  • there's a leak, how do you deal with it? A member of staff been there ten years doesn't know. Fantastic.
  • where are the payslips? where they always are.
  • where is supply zeta? in the cupboard where it always is with about 30 others.
  • We are missing a member of staff around 2 mins after scheduled to arrive, who is it? Well look at the schedule and wait a bit.
  • can anyone 'volunteer' for shifts at farflung sites for minimum wage on a saturday/Sunday.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah - why not? My train station is unmanned - i can buy an off peak return once i have sat down.
You've not seen these.
View attachment 420441
image.jpg

Not displaying right

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a basic smartphone , the only reason i have it is google maps if i got lost on a ride which with my nav skills is very possible, otherwise i have turned off mobile data so i dont get picture messages and theonly app i have installed is repeat notifications as 99 % of the time i dont have the phone on my person or it is too noisy to hear so if something worth sending me a text/ call for eg son/ wife has been taken ill i dont miss it .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You've not seen these.
View attachment 420441
View attachment 420444

Not displaying right
You don't have to pay a penalty fare if you boarded at a station which isn't currently selling your desired ticket for cash and card.

The ticket machine at the unstaffed station two villages over from me is often broken, plus it's too far from the tracks for the guard to see from the train, so they rarely check whether it had broken and started flashing its amber light - they mostly just sell you the ticket.

Julia9054

Guru
The ticket machine at my unstaffed local station is usually broken.
I buy a ticket using Trainline app either just before i leave my house, as i am walking to the station or occasionally if i am running late, as i have got on the train.
No one ever checks my ticket within the first couple of minutes of sitting down. Often, no one checks my ticket at all until i need it to get through the automatic barrier in Leeds, York or Manchester (the places i regularly go)

Top Bottom