Mobile phone - give it up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
Luckily I don't have any social media apps or anything similar on my mobile phone and am not interested in instant replying to everything I get sent.

If people want to spend their lives updating status and forwarding on clips, pics and the like then that is up to them. Not something I am bothered about.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I love modern technology.
This post would be full of spelling mistakes without technology.
I would have stopped cycling in winter without Google directing me to CC and spiked ice tyres.
I would not be a trained ride leader, nor a member of the Glasgow Belles without finding out about this stuff online.
My work, catering for big events in a big venue, is so much easier since we started coordinating with What'sApp event chats.
I would not get any shifts without FB or Messenger or texts.
I would not know where I've been without Strava.
I can talk to family and friends abroad easily, showing them pictures simultaneously.
I can go in my kitchen with my phone, follow several recipes on several screens.
I learned basic windows at over 30 years of age, have never looked back!
All good, BUT....... You don't need a phone for any of it apart from texts. I didn't say I was intending to get rid of my laptop!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can we not have an "Old Gimmer, I hate the Modern World, everything in it and young people" subforum so I can stick it on ignore?
The thread title was supposed to give you a clue as to the content of the post.
However, it's not about the modern world, everything in it, and young people (most of which I like).

screenman

Legendary Member
I would hate to be without my smart phone, I do not update, facebook, snapchat etc, I just find it a very useful tool.

As for getting suckered into it as a poster says, I feel that is an insult.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I would hate to be without my smart phone, I do not update, facebook, snapchat etc, I just find it a very useful tool.

As for getting suckered into it as a poster says, I feel that is an insult.
It's completely transformed the way I work

No more office, no more commute, go for a bike ride just about when I feel like it

I can do my job just using my phone (except big stuff like spreadsheets that need a laptop). Hence I can sit in the garden, drinking coffee and working

It lets me communicate for free with people across the globe, without which my job would be very difficult.

And when I pop into Manchester later today I can follow live TdF updates on my phone

Drago

Legendary Member
They completely transformed the way I used to work, when daft folk waved them around in public so Johnny Scumbag could pinch them with the minimum of effort. Gave us plenty to do.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's completely transformed the way I work

No more office, no more commute, go for a bike ride just about when I feel like it

I can do my job just using my phone (except big stuff like spreadsheets that need a laptop). Hence I can sit in the garden, drinking coffee and working

It lets me communicate for free with people across the globe, without which my job would be very difficult.

And when I pop into Manchester later today I can follow live TdF updates on my phone

Or for doing all the things nickyboy mentioned.

Wow! I'll need to try that. What app do I need to install that will cut grass, trim bushes, paint walls, replace bulbs, fix hoovers, clean wheelchairs, do H&S checks, take and distribute deliveries, and a multitude of other manual tasks?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't have one,apart from the cheapy £8.99 one that doesn't have any credit on. I get NHS messages saying stuff like "You have an appointment. Missed appointments cost the NHS £130 each time. Please confirm that you'll attend". Well why do you think i made the appointment in the first place,if you think i won't attend?, i say to myself.:rolleyes: The thing is,i can't reply as i don't have any credit,so they'll think i'm not going to attend. Then there's the 'You have a Voicemail'. So what,i can't feckin' retrieve it so there! I didn't ask to be part of this mobile phone stuck in my face love in all the time,so they'll just have to accept that i won't reply to their constant messages.

screenman

Legendary Member
Wow! I'll need to try that. What app do I need to install that will cut grass, trim bushes, paint walls, replace bulbs, fix hoovers, clean wheelchairs, do H&S checks, take and distribute deliveries, and a multitude of other manual tasks?

Have you tried the Dulux app? Maybe it is an age thing, I am only 62.

Can you use the lawn mower to make a phone call

Drago

Legendary Member
You can pay for petrol with it now, apparently. Thing is, you still have to get out the car to stick the nozzle in the hole, so it's no more of an advance than paying at the pump you'll be stood next to anyway for a couple of minutes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you tried the Dulux app? Maybe it is an age thing, I am only 62.

Can you use the lawn mower to make a phone call
Thing is, the lawnmower was bought because I needed something to cut the grass with. The same way I bought the phone for making calls with. Even text messages weren't wanted.

The Dulux app was for approved stores only, to allow their mixing system tto be used.

Top Bottom