Mobile phone - give it up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Wow! I'll need to try that. What app do I need to install that will cut grass, trim bushes, paint walls, replace bulbs, fix hoovers, clean wheelchairs, do H&S checks, take and distribute deliveries, and a multitude of other manual tasks?
You could use a phone to make the admin of all of that easier and more mobile.
Up to you though. Most people reach a point where they cannot envisage how more technology could make running their lives smoother or more convenient. My dad is a case in point. All his life he has been an enthusiastic early adopter. However, at 80, i have explained to him the extra things that he could do with the technology he has got but he is now not interested.
I use my smart phone and iPad to their full capacity both for personal and professional purposes. I cannot think of what else i would like them to do that they don't already.

classic33

Leg End Member
If that's the case raleighnut might find it handy to switch to asda. Still three months. Good basic service. It uses the EE network I think.
If he's on Orange. They remove any money from the account. For safety/security reasons, leaving you unable to make calls.

Be nice if they let you know they were doing it, before they did it.

Surplus "n" in Orange removed.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Thing is, the lawnmower was bought because I needed something to cut the grass with. The same way I bought the phone for making calls with. Even text messages weren't wanted.

The Dulux app was for approved stores only, to allow their mixing system tto be used.

With my Dulux app I can view the room I am in in different colours.

My phone was purchased for its ability to do lots of things.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member

Lovely; and no doubt very useful - if you're cutting a lawn the size of a postage stamp! Unless of course it knows how and where to empty itself? And can negotiate locked gates to move onto the next lawn :laugh:.
Unfortunately I have at least 6 different areas of grass to cut, and a LOT of grass cuttings to dispose of. The good old petrol engined Honda mower might be more suitable to my needs. :okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's completely transformed the way I work
Yes, mine too: being able to communicate with several colleagues simultaneously across our huge premises is excellent.
I can even find out stuff or relay stuff I forgot to tell at work while at the coffee stop on a bike ride :okay:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I can even find out stuff or relay stuff I forgot to tell at work while at the coffee stop on a bike ride :okay:
This is one of the reasons why I think mobile phones are a BAD thing!
When I'm away from work, my time is my own. I know this is becoming an old fashioned point of view, but when I walk out of the door, I really don't want to take my work with me. I like to think they get good value for money out of me during working hours and if they need me outwith those times then I am flexible enough to help out (when possible) - but I expect to be paid for it!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lovely; and no doubt very useful - if you're cutting a lawn the size of a postage stamp! Unless of course it knows how and where to empty itself? And can negotiate locked gates to move onto the next lawn :laugh:.
It mows the cuttings until they mulch the lawn, as I understand it. The locked gates might stump it, though!

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5321525, member: 259"]Any device that lets me flash all my house lights on and off in different colours in time to Shake Some Action by the Flamin' Groovies is going to get my vote.

Bog off, Grandad.[/QUOTE]
Or buy a train ticket and the send stupid jokes simultaneously to my family whilst i am on the train. One is sitting next to me, one is on a train on his way back from London, one is in Italy.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This is one of the reasons why I think mobile phones are a BAD thing!
When I'm away from work, my time is my own. I know this is becoming an old fashioned point of view, but when I walk out of the door, I really don't want to take my work with me. I like to think they get good value for money out of me during working hours and if they need me outwith those times then I am flexible enough to help out - but I expect to be paid for it!!
I don't mind: the nature of my work is that it needs a lot of organization, sometimes good ideas come to me when I'm off, had a good sleep, a good meal.
Our teams are fluid: If I wait until I'm back at work I might not see the person for weeks, by then I will have forgotten, or they could have used the info to my advantage.

Top Bottom