Mobile phone/wifi/data and bluetooth question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is the icon that will be at the top of your phone screen when you are connected to wifi.

Daft question but where else would I get them ie if I want (as yesterday) some classical music ??
Getting them off the internet is fine if you're on Wifi. Otherwise you'll be burning up your mobile phone data allowance as you've just found out.
BBC Sounds and downloading a show or DJ you like would be an easier bet - unless you enjoy googling a new song every three minutes or so.
I've not the imagination for that.

There's also itunes and buying music - but that's a saga for another day.

newts

Veteran
Just check that it's not a setting/app meter that gives you a warning that you've used x amount of data that's been through the phone. My Samsung galaxy does this, the default setting is 2gb & runs from the 1rst of each month. It can be reset to match your contracted data limit & dates.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not if connected to wi-fi :okay:

Dave7 only confirmed it was connected to wi fi on page 2, up till then it sounded like he was using mobile data and getting songs off the internet would soon burn through that

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Daft question but where else would I get them ie if I want (as yesterday) some classical music ??
sky tv has radio built in and you can search for music there, so you wouldnt need to stream it then or if you have a spotify account, again you can link it sky q box and play it through too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I've got a folder full of songs on my phone, the same folder is on my tablet and desktop. Now are you sure the wifi is connected properly, the connection isn't dropping out is it? If you are definitely using wi fi for the music you need to look elsewhere for your data use, have you checked the phone for malware?

jowwy

i would check the phones data and wifi usage within the settings tab....it will actually tell you what you have been using the data on

1637750879842.png

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's possible that you've got your wifi and mobile data switched on? Whenever I go out, I swipe down to access the quick menu and turn wifi off and connect to mobile data. When I return to the house, I turn on wifi and switch off mobile data. Depending on the phone, it can sometimes switch to mobile data or wifi whichever is the strongest signal.

What phone do you have?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
1: Check you're properly connected to WiFi. Go to "settings" then "connectivity (or connections)" then "wifi". Ensure it's (a) switched on and (b) is connected to your home WiFi network. Ensure it isn't displaying the message "no Internet" or "connected but no Internet". (If that's the case, you might want to try resetting your router).
Screenshot_20211124-104628_Settings.jpg

2: Just to be sure you're definitely on wifi, disable the roaming data to check. In "Settings / connections" look for data roaming and switch it off. It might be under "mobile networks"

Screenshot_20211124-104704_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20211124-104733_Call settings.jpg

3: Now try streaming your music again. If all is well you can switch roaming data back on.

I suspect your phone is connected to the WiFi router but the latter isn't connected reliably to the Internet, and mobile data is taking over. Do you get a tiny question mark next to the wifi symbol?

Let us know how you get on after those steps.

All bluetooth does is suck battery power. Data consumed means that it was not connected to wifi and data was inadvertently transferred via 4G/5G. Had this happened to me before and I am sure others as well.

jowwy

1: Check you're properly connected to WiFi. Go to "settings" then "connectivity (or connections)" then "wifi". Ensure it's (a) switched on and (b) is connected to your home WiFi network. Ensure it isn't displaying the message "no Internet" or "connected but no Internet". (If that's the case, you might want to try resetting your router).
View attachment 619116

2: Just to be sure you're definitely on wifi, disable the roaming data to check. In "Settings / connections" look for data roaming and switch it off. It might be under "mobile networks"

View attachment 619117

View attachment 619118

3: Now try streaming your music again. If all is well you can switch roaming data back on.

I suspect your phone is connected to the WiFi router but the latter isn't connected reliably to the Internet, and mobile data is taking over. Do you get a tiny question mark next to the wifi symbol?

Let us know how you get on after those steps.
he could just click on the data usage tab in point 2 of your post and it will tell him what he's using the data on.....

Top Bottom