Mobile phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Used the right way, smartphones are brilliant for reasons mentioned above.

Use the wrong way, they can be a distraction and a waste of time.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
[QUOTE 4969214, member: 259"]It's the same with toasters. What's wrong with rubbing a few sticks together, building a small fire out of twigs and branches and spearing your bread with a stick?

Morphy Richards my arse![/QUOTE]

Very true. Same with all these lah-de-dah hydraulic disc brakes on bicycles. Nothing stops you better than shoe leather and adrenaline.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you don't like smartphones buy a tablet. Can't make calls and it's bigger so it's easier to read and use. Love my iPad mini.
Maybe the fascination with the iPhone is ending, I read that barely a dozen people queued for the release of the latest version in London this week.

mr.conrad

They are a tool and about as addictive as, well, Allen keys.

I see what you mean...

wera-05022669001-stainless-steel-hex-allen-keys-long-1.5mm-to-10mm-[2]-40480-p.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Work has given me the creation that is the crApple iphone. I have written it with a small p just to annoy them. My problem is I think, my previous phone was the same one I had used for probably 12 years plus; a Nokia something or other. You could make calls all day (important for site based tech support) and the battery would last all the next day too without a charge. I was very happy that no one could email me!
The crApple does so much (for other people anyway), a camera, a computer, a health monitor, a GPS, a wallet, a game station and a myriad of other things I haven't looked at; it has forgotten its a phone.

The battery went from 60% to nothing in a couple of hours. I wouldn't mind but I wasn't even using the thing. My personal problem is I suppose that I don't see it as anything other that a phone. On the plus side, I switch my PC on in the evenings less as I can sort emails on it.

Can I have my Nokia back?
I've got one of these,

phones-banner.png

The orange un on the left.

Haven't Nokia re-launched the 3310 now though.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never seen anyone anywhere ever sat there staring at allen keys in their hand, or waking up in the night because their allen keys have gone 'beep', or sitting on the loo reading their allen keys, or getting withdrawal anxiety when their allen keys can't get a signal.

tyred

Legendary Member
I love my Allen keys and can't imagine life without them. I like to set them on the table in front of me when eating dinner and look at them when walking down the street or sitting in the pub.

Iphones are useless. I tried to unscrew a bolt with one but it didn't fit.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It did occur to me on my recent ride from Bristol down to Lands End that back in the day, if I'd lost my phone I'd have lost the ability to make phone calls (until I could find a phone box); now, losing my phone would mean losing my navigation (I took no maps), my camera, my book, my music, my torch, my calendar and my journal-keeper - as well as my main keep-in-touch with friends & family facility. (As for the GPS not being that good, I was amazed (never having used the satnav in any serious way) just how accurate it was. Stray off the route by as little as - literally - 10 metres, and it's immediately and clearly visible on screen.)

classic33

Leg End Member
Sort of, though not quite. A separate small company identified that there are probably quite a few people that want that kind of simplicity, and they're doing a copy, I believe with Nokia's approval.
And it's an ugly looking thing, nothing like the original.

classic33

Leg End Member
they are made for those that think they are too cool for school, oooh look at me I'm so retro, please look at me, it gives purpose to my life, please look at me.
fooled by clever marketing
Still got the original one.

Current handset is seventeen years old.

Top Bottom