Mobile phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxo

Guru
as addictive as, well, Allen keys.
Think that should read 'addictive as, well, Alica Keys'

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
they are made for those that think they are too cool for school, oooh look at me I'm so retro, please look at me, it gives purpose to my life, please look at me.
fooled by clever marketing
...you called....
IMG_0497.JPG

classic33

Leg End Member
This isn't a smart phone bashing thread. They're not my thing, but ive no objection to people that have them (and use them sensibly).

However, I do fear the day when the sat Navy, PGS, cameras, MP3 players etc become so rare, and thus so expensive, I'll be forced to get a smartphone. Mrs D thinks within 5 years BTW.
Handheld GPS will be available for a few years yet.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This isn't a smart phone bashing thread. They're not my thing, but ive no objection to people that have them (and use them sensibly).

However, I do fear the day when the sat Navy, PGS, cameras, MP3 players etc become so rare, and thus so expensive, I'll be forced to get a smartphone. Mrs D thinks within 5 years BTW.

I think MP3 players have had it, smartphones can do what they do pretty easily. Sat Nav is interesting. Cyclists are still keen to use a separate GPS device rather than the phone. If battery life and robustness could be sorted then Garmin GPS has had it too. Cameras....in reality gone already except the higher end equipment. I haven't seen anyone use a camera less than several hundred quid for ages. Presumably they aren't made any more. My smartphone comes with high resolution double leica lens. Lower end of camera market is dead already

So as a smartphone user I've no problem with this...it let's me carry one device instead of three. But if you want to stick with a brickphone then lower end devices have all but had it

classic33

Leg End Member
CAM00632-1.jpg

It'll never be nicked!

gbb

Legendary Member
There's duplication in most if not all technology nowadays...and has been for a while.
I have a DVD player/ recorder in my living room, cost maybe £500...hardly ever used it, the advent of most tv packages, catch up, on demand and +1 channels make them almost redundant.
Then there's duplication in almost everything tv related, it's a job to know which is the cheapest way to do it.

Tim Hall

Oh the irony of people using the internet to moan about smartphones.

Shouldn't you all be using a pigeon, telex or fax, etc...
But that's not the stated point of the thread. It's asking about how long separate devices will exist to do the things smartphones also do. For me I already use mine for radio and downloaded music, since my dedicated mp3 player got stolen. The sound quality through tiddly headphones is the same, so super duper reproduction isn't needed. It's my only gps at present, although I may consider getting a garmin for cycling purposes. My car has gps built in. The immediacy of phone snapped pictures, so I can amaze the world with a picture of a bench mark as soon as I've snapped it is, generally speaking, something an actual camera can't do, although wifi enabled dSLR cameras do exist. I think picture quality has been confused with the number of megapixels though, duping the public to an extant. I think all those gadgets will remain as individual devices for some time, with the exception of the mp3 player, especially as downloaded music itself us drifting off in to history already.

Top Bottom