Model Railways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm glad this thread has appeared. Not that I'm a modeller, but I came across these little bicycles that look a lot of fun. HO/OO scale, they run on a magnetic track hidden underneath the road.

View: https://youtu.be/go1o0HPBcLs

Oxford Dave

When I'm not riding my bike or playing my bass, I'm probably making buildings for my model railway.
Anyone who lives within reach of South Oxfordshire could do a lot worse than visiting the Pendon Museum in Long Wittenham - probably the finest model railway in the word. All started over fifty years ago by a chap who used to cycle around the vale of the white horse taking measurements and pictures of the buildings there. The Vale Scene at Pendon is still a work in progress!
It's about 20 miles from where I live in West Oxfordshire, so I am planning to cycle there in the spring.

Has anyone seen the new (February) edition of Railway Modeller yet??

I'm quite taken with the 00 Stanley Station...……… as I grew up In the village, & still pass the site on a regular basis
The site is on the A642 'Aberford Road', a mile south-west of jct 30/M62

https://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Stanley-Station.html

After work today, I went to the Model Railway Show at New College, Pontefract (adjacent to the park & racecourse)
Mainly to see the 'Stanley Station'
I wasn't disappointed!!:notworthy:
https://www.wakefieldrms.org/

Whoever painted that backscene really knew what they were doing.

According the article in the magazine, a local chap painted it, as it was in the late 50's

The Church shown, in the background (St Peters) was demolished in early 2014, due to subsidence (from Colliery workings finally settling)
I watched some of the demolition work

Mike_P

Guru
It's a while since I went to an exhibition, and when I do I usually spend more time looking at the scenics and getting the backscene right seems to defeat so many, what is actually moving on so many layouts is merely usually stuff literally straight out of a box and hold little interest in comparison. I did have an end to fiddle exhibition layout which did make it to York in 2014 but issues of storage, transport and reliable assistants along with a few health issues at the time meant I subsequently withdrew it from the exhibition circuit and have slowly been converting it into a home layout, of the 3 scenic boards the centre one got axed for a new ninety degree board and I foolishly ordered in June 2017 an elevator to act as the fiddle which stopped me doing anything until it arrived. Still has not so new fiddle being made to fit the room and unless my deposit for the elevator is refunded, gave them to the end of Jan, it looks like an application to the small claims court will be needed. Absolutely no communication from them for well over a year and before that unfulfilled assurances that progress was being made.

It's a while since I went to an exhibition, and when I do I usually spend more time looking at the scenics and getting the backscene right seems to defeat so many, what is actually moving on so many layouts is merely usually stuff literally straight out of a box and hold little interest in comparison.

I know what you mean. One reason I went over to the Dark Side and started making narrow gauge models in obscure scales was that it meant I could make my own models instead of "just" buying them. That way I have something a bit different running on the layout.

Also, it's far cheaper.

backscene_01_05.jpg

I only managed one backscene so far, on this model. Unfortunately this is as far as it went because I'd planned it badly and the trains couldn't run on the track very well. Hopefully once I have a job (and therefore access to a wood workshop) I'll be able to make a new baseboard and rebuild the model in a more successful format.

classic33

Leg End Member
I know what you mean. One reason I went over to the Dark Side and started making narrow gauge models in obscure scales was that it meant I could make my own models instead of "just" buying them. That way I have something a bit different running on the layout.

Also, it's far cheaper.

View attachment 502157

I only managed one backscene so far, on this model. Unfortunately this is as far as it went because I'd planned it badly and the trains couldn't run on the track very well. Hopefully once I have a job (and therefore access to a wood workshop) I'll be able to make a new baseboard and rebuild the model in a more successful format.
Curves too tight?

Edited to ask
Is that a "Y" point before the entrance to the building, and did you have trouble with that section of track?

Last edited:
Top Bottom