Model Railways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think the problem with Thomas themed electric trainsets is that they aren't for small hands, and once the hands are big enough it's probably better to go for the unthemed ones. I've got my son's battered Thomas but I've also got a GWR tank and carriage which I think I may bequeath later.
Often cheaper to buy the set with what you want in it, selling on the rest.

Thomas,Underground Ernie & Chuggington all suffer from the same problem. Small, often delicate items in hands not used to them. Something the manufacturers must be aware of.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I remember leaving the city centre on the road up to Baildon, and the shop was on the right hand side.

Your memory is correct though they have now moved to an industrial unit close by. In hink that the shop is now a restaurant.

Frizinghall Model Railways was also a great source of Meccano sets from 0 through to 10 as well as Meccano plans for classics like the giant block setting crane.

126_l.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Your memory is correct though they have now moved to an industrial unit close by. In hink that the shop is now a restaurant.

Frizinghall Model Railways was also a great source of Meccano sets from 0 through to 10 as well as Meccano plans for classics like the giant block setting crane.

126_l.jpg
Still are one of the regions main Meccano suppliers, with the Block Setting Crane in a display cabinet on the left hand side as you walk in. Plans on the far right. Cost of parts required for the crane, £1,200!

15 years ago they were in the same place they are now, just off the Shipley Airedale road.

classic33

Leg End Member

126_l.jpg
Still are one of the regions main Meccano suppliers, with the Block Setting Crane in a display cabinet on the left hand side as you walk in. Plans on the far right.
15 years ago they were in the same place they are now, just off the Shipley Airedale road.

classic33

Leg End Member
I am scared to start. I have ideas, a track plan, most of the track and points and one locomotive but I am unable to lay the first track length or place the first tree or whatever ...:blush:
There's one or two shows coming up this month near you. Why not visit one, see how they do it/have done it.

Any layout put up will not just appear overnight or in one go. That's the basic idea behind the trakmat in the picture posted by CarlP. To give you an idea of what goes where, track, buildings, figures and ground features.

Daft as it may sound, what size of locomotive would you be looking at running?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
There's one or two shows coming up this month near you. Why not visit one, see how they do it/have done it.

Any layout put up will not just appear overnight or in one go. That's the basic idea behind the trakmat in the picture posted by CarlP. To give you an idea of what goes where, track, buildings, figures and ground features.

Daft as it may sound, what size of locomotive would you be looking at running?

N-gauge is what I have, it seemed the best choice to make full use of the space available. I have a class 47 (I think) locomotive, but once I have built it I will be running much smaller things like Jinty and the class46XX pannier with DCC.

And you are right, I need to sit down one afternoon and just start, the trouble is I don't know where to start, I have a coffee table to put it on and have designed a track on the computer, but then I just stop :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Reason for the loco question is the larger ones won't run properly on the smallest standard curves.
How much of the track that you have fits into your current plan?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Reason for the loco question is the larger ones won't run properly on the smallest standard curves.
How much of the track that you have fits into your current plan?

I have about 70-80% of the track I need. I designed a track using SCARM and have a full sized printout of it, but have since lost the file so cannot load it back into SCARM or show it here, sadly

classic33

Leg End Member
I have about 70-80% of the track I need. I designed a track using SCARM and have a full sized printout of it, but have since lost the file so cannot load it back into SCARM or show it here, sadly
Doesn't the program "remember" the layout?

I always advised the following:
Get the catalogues, go online. Make a list of everything that you want. On paper.
Draw your layout(you've done this part), on paper.
Check what your layout will actually require from your list drawn up.
Check where the layout will actually be going. will it fit. Will what you want to run/operate actually fit the layout.
Amend your layout to the area available.
Start crossing off items no longer required. You've no need of those 20 one metre sections of track after all. And that two metre long, double platform. And that ten coach express train won't fit on the layout now. Cross those off
Now have a look at the prices. How much can you actually afford. Check your list and cross off those you can't afford at present.
Have you duplicated any item, it came in a larger set and you've not realised.

A bit harsh, and a bit simplistic at times. But mistakes made on paper are easier correct. Plus you don't have to worry about getting it all home and then storing it, until you need it.

Once given the task of getting everything, bar the boards, for this layout. Customer insisted he wanted it to look just as shown.
Track.JPG

Parts & price list drawn up of everything and sent to the shop. About 1 & 1/2 sheets of A4, with parts and prices. That's when he baulked when presented with the list.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-Di...dlam-Layout-two-trains-included-/391047310847
Note the above doesn't include the buildings, platforms or scenics!

You being Mersyside-ish, have you been on the Hattons website. One I've used myself, among others.
@User was saying he'd some "N" Gauge to sell

Last edited:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I have actually visited the Hattons Shop - nice people and VERY knowledgable, obviously :smile:

I will drag out the track and stuff next weekend and have a serious think about starting something - honest !

classic33

Leg End Member
I have actually visited the Hattons Shop - nice people and VERY knowledgable, obviously :smile:

I will drag out the track and stuff next weekend and have a serious think about starting something - honest !
One I'd recommend to anyone.

Top Bottom