Model Railways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fried s is the result of me owning a iPhone and wanting to type friends but the combination on my fat fingers and the most useless predictive type system ever.
If you still want some of the Thomas and Friends locomotives, have a look for the stamp collection ones. They never really sold.

Lonestar

Veteran
[
For some reading I don't fancy the digital route, for sort of the same reason I don't want a DI2 or similar, it's not that it's not good it's just doesn't seem right.

@Lonestar & @numbnuts both my Grandfather and his son, my uncle were train drivers, starting off as apprentices and working there way up the former before the war, the latter during the war. My uncle (85yo) has a photo of him standing by a steam train he managed to derail.

I spent five years living near and playing on the railways in Willesden Junction.

I've been on over 30 years now.Great for them,guess I would have loved it even more then than now.The railway has changed so much after privatisation.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Here are some pics, one of the original set, one of the track map layout (sorry about the quality, but its in the garage against the wall and difficult to get to ) and the controls, I think.

I have a huge loft, but I can't get the board as it is in the loft as the hatch is too small, I suppose I could re-build it but I'd rather not.

There's a load of stuff in boxes up in the loft too.

IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2203.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2204.JPG
    IMG_2204.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 20

classic33

Leg End Member
Here are some pics, one of the original set, one of the track map layout (sorry about the quality, but its in the garage against the wall and difficult to get to ) and the controls, I think.

I have a huge loft, but I can't get the board as it is in the loft as the hatch is too small, I suppose I could re-build it but I'd rather not.

View attachment 101410 View attachment 101411
Why's the track running over the platform?
You've got the better of the set supplied controllers. New ones are pathetic, with no seperate power take off for point motors or lighting.
Check the track & the wheels of the tender(on the one shown) by rubbing with your finger. Dirt is common and can lead many to suspect that they have a problem they don't have.
It appears wired to allow full control over the entire layout. If not a few link wires would complete it for you.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Why's the track running over the platform?

Don't know, maybe he didn't have the right parts.

You've got the better of the set supplied controllers. New ones are pathetic, with no seperate power take off for point motors or lighting.
Check the track & the wheels of the tender(on the one shown) by rubbing with your finger. Dirt is common and can lead many to suspect that they have a problem they don't have.
It appears wired to allow full control over the entire layout. If not a few link wires would complete it for you.

I'll check that stuff out.

classic33

Leg End Member
The dirt isn't anything major, just a natural accumulation. It does however create a bad contact between track and wheels(pick up points on the loco's). Easily solved.
IF the water tower that sits opposite the goods shed, in the siding is a Skaldale one & not the plastic one, its worth more now, don't part with it.

stephec

Legendary Member
If you still want some of the Thomas and Friends locomotives, have a look for the stamp collection ones. They never really sold.
That's what I had, a Thomas and Percy set with a double oval.

I got it for my lad when he was six months old and built the layout in his room, unfortunately he wasn't able to operate it so he just sat there and watched me.

I think it's still in a box somewhere hiding in a cupboard. :smile:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
That's what I had, a Thomas and Percy set with a double oval.

I got it for my lad when he was six months old and built the layout in his room, unfortunately he wasn't able to operate it so he just sat there and watched me.

I think it's still in a box somewhere hiding in a cupboard. :smile:

My grandson is really into Thomas but I think you describe the problem to a 'T'. By the time he is old enough to actually enjoy a railway he won't want facses on the locos & rolling stock!

Anyone have any ideas on cheaply creating a small garden 0 gauge railway?

classic33

Leg End Member
My grandson is really into Thomas but I think you describe the problem to a 'T'. By the time he is old enough to actually enjoy a railway he won't want facses on the locos & rolling stock!

Anyone have any ideas on cheaply creating a small garden 0 gauge railway?
Keep an eye out for Bachmann O Gauge Thomas The Tank Engine stock. Should never have been on sale in this country, Hornby holding the UK franchise. Thomas can be got for as little as £100, with some sets for £130.
Check Hattons & Frizinghall Model Railways.

Outside & "0"gauge, I'd say @User is better placed to advise. See his post at the top of this page.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Keep an eye out for Bachmann O Gauge Thomas The Tank Engine stock. Should never have been on sale in this country, Hornby holding the UK franchise. Thomas can be got for as little as £100, with some sets for £130.
Check Hattons & Frizinghall Model Railways.

Is Frizinghall the place at the north end of Bradford?

That's where I got my set from.

classic33

Leg End Member

View attachment 101410 View attachment 101411
R1039, The Flying Scotsman 2003. Last in the 2006 catalogue at £130. R1058 being the Live Steam Set.

Top Bottom