Modern classics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderdog

I would really like to see a photo of the complete piece of furniture, not just idle curiosity its because l was for many years a restorer and maker of "antique" furniture and l might be able to give you more info on your piece such as where it was made and made who made it .
Thanks for your offer. I envy you your experience. I find it very hard to chuck out any piece of timber, which can lead to terse exchanges over shortage of storage space. Not entirely sure when this came out from England - possibly first half of the 19th century - body has been ebonised with walnut burr sides and kick panel. Finishes are original as best as I can figure though I have cleaned it with an orange solution. It's on steel castors which may be a later addition. Drawers on this side are dummies with the real thing on the other side and there is a not too secret compartment top back. Not pictured is a lovely hand carved inkwell in the shape of the head of a Boxer dog which, I understand, has always accompanied the piece.

Davenport.jpg

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Many thanks .. what a marvellous resource. Something else to obsess over!
I too was a boarder back in the days when the fag system was current in Oz. Tried to get expelled but to no avail. A lot of scarred kids from that time. Oliver Reed in the movie "I'll never forget whatshisname".
Many thanks .. what a marvellous resource. Something else to obsess over!
I too was a boarder back in the days when the fag system was current in Oz. Tried to get expelled but to no avail. A lot of scarred kids from that time. Oliver Reed in the movie "I'll never forget whatshisname".
I did come close to getting the order of the boot.I was called to seethe headmaster because my hair was "too long" and that long hair was quote "dirty" I protested because as l said to the Head, girls hair is long so is that dirty?. Without a word of a lie the old fool told me that "girls hair is different from boys" and l must get it cut or he would be writing to my parents.....l got it cut:sad:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thanks for your offer. I envy you your experience. I find it very hard to chuck out any piece of timber, which can lead to terse exchanges over shortage of storage space. Not entirely sure when this came out from England - possibly first half of the 19th century - body has been ebonised with walnut burr sides and kick panel. Finishes are original as best as I can figure though I have cleaned it with an orange solution. It's on steel castors which may be a later addition. Drawers on this side are dummies with the real thing on the other side and there is a not too secret compartment top back. Not pictured is a lovely hand carved inkwell in the shape of the head of a Boxer dog which, I understand, has always accompanied the piece.

View attachment 391861
Thanks for the photo...l will give it some thought, first reaction is nice quality, lovely burr walnut veneers and the whole piece nicely understated and not over the top Victoriana .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thanks for the photo...l will give it some thought, first reaction is nice quality, lovely burr walnut veneers and the whole piece nicely understated and not over the top Victoriana .
Looking at your photograph again,s something stands out and l am intrigued ! I can see that under the top with the nice brass gallery there is an end on view of a piece of wood which would not usually be there . Unless it has a function which you haven't mentioned , is it for example a slide which can be pulled out, or does the galleried top lift up to expose a compartment or maybe drawers ? Detective work from the other side of the earth has its challenges^_^

wonderdog

Looking at your photograph again,s something stands out and l am intrigued ! I can see that under the top with the nice brass gallery there is an end on view of a piece of wood which would not usually be there . Unless it has a function which you haven't mentioned , is it for example a slide which can be pulled out, or does the galleried top lift up to expose a compartment or maybe drawers ? Detective work from the other side of the earth has its challenges^_^
It's part of the concealed compartment - as I said previously, not too secret. I'll take some more pix to show how it all works ... would be interested in yr view of what timber is used on the interior - very straight grain.

wonderdog

It's part of the concealed compartment - as I said previously, not too secret. I'll take some more pix to show how it all works ... would be interested in yr view of what timber is used on the interior - very straight grain.
More pix ... should we go elsewhere to discuss such esoterica? It would be OK were the thing fitted with a Brooks B17 but I can't figure out how to mount one. One twists the knob on the back interior wall to release the gallery base which slides back, revealing a myriad of filing slots. I didn't include a pic of the footwell which has reeded newel? posts on each side. They are dowelled in and quite easy to remove.
Davenport interior.jpg

Hidden drawer.jpg

Attachments

• Top view.jpg
    Top view.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
More pix ... should we go elsewhere to discuss such esoterica? It would be OK were the thing fitted with a Brooks B17 but I can't figure out how to mount one. One twists the knob on the back interior wall to release the gallery base which slides back, revealing a myriad of filing slots. I didn't include a pic of the footwell which has reeded newel? posts on each side. They are dowelled in and quite easy to remove.
View attachment 392481
View attachment 392482
Thank you for these latest pics. Not sure how much more l can usefully tell you about it, other than it is a really nice piece. I can't recall seeing a sliding gallery before. Usually the pen and envelope compartment is contained within a raised section where the brass gallery is on your piece.
I have a feeling that you have a custom made davenport and one which was made by a very good cabinetmaker. I don't suppose you have come across any letters stamped into the interior, possibly on the back edge of a drawer rail or some other out of the way place. The only feature find unusual are the drop handles which if original to the desk would date it to the last quarter if the 19th C. I say unusual because most frequently davenports of this era had turned wooden knobs and the ones with pierced brass (like the odd one out on yours ) were on more ornate and to my eyes "fussy" pieces.
When you removed the drop handles to clean them did you notice any marks (filled holes for example} in the drawer fronts.
If you would be happier carrying on the discussion elsewhere you can email me if you like ...chris@aquila-balance.eu All the best.

Top Bottom