Modern trend for extremely low gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So what’s with the fashion of tiny front ring and dinner plate cassettes? That’s seriously low gearing, 30-51 for instance?
Do they really ever get used, I mean I could probably walk really slowly and still be faster than pedalling the bike.
Maybe there’s a case for serious mountain up hills but round a trail centre or buggering about round the countryside?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That is really low - 0.59:1. I don't think that would get much use!

My mountain bike has 22/32 - 0.69:1. I didn't use it often in that gear, but on 25+% climbs I sometimes did.

The dinner plate rear sprockets are used because small front chainrings have gone out of fashion.
MTB/ touring triples used to be min around 20 gear inches ( down to 17").
The 30/57 is 15.75"

You need ultra low gears for loaded touring off road and on ultra steep roads. You cant push a loaded bike up a steep trail at 3mph.
You can pedal down to 2mph without falling off and no cycle tourist has ever complained about having gears too low.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The dinner plate rear sprockets are used because small front chainrings have gone out of fashion.
MTB/ touring triples used to be min around 20 gear inches ( down to 17").
The 30/57 is 15.75"

You need ultra low gears for loaded touring off road and on ultra steep roads. You cant push a loaded bike up a steep trail at 3mph.
You can pedal down to 2mph without falling off and no cycle tourist has ever complained about having gears too low.
Ehh? Small front chain rings gone out of fashion? From what I’m seeing on MtB are 30 or 32?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Apologies- didn't appreciate this was an MTB thread... my old bike has 52/39 with a 11-32 5-speed freewheel.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
This bike I’ve just linked to above -
In the blurb-
Ready to attack the most challenging XC courses, the Vitus Rapide 29 CRX Mountain Bike is agile, stable and fast. Its light carbon frame has a modern geometry, plus it's enhanced with Shimano XT 1x12-speed gears and RockShox forks.
Isn’t that a bit odd with 30 -51 ?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I have a fat bike with 30/52, and have needed this low gear on several occasions already. I may fit a 32 chain ring (maximum permissible) and see how I get on with it.

Top Bottom