Modern trend for extremely low gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
@lane, is it a safe bet that his seat was set too low too?

Archie_tect

I did the C2C on a Giant hybrid ten years ago with a 48-36-26 with an 11-32 cassette... it's Mrs A_T's go to bike now as it gets her up any hill she wants..

Gunk

Guru
It is just a fashion, I’ve never known a time where you had a gear on a cassette larger than a chain wheel

Drago

Legendary Member
Ehh? Small front chain rings gone out of fashion? From what I’m seeing on MtB are 30 or 32?
Thats pretty big compared to the 20 or 22 crawlers that festooned many MTB triples until a few years ago.

Archie_tect

Do me a favour look up bike for Tuesday on youtube, the guy talks a lot of sense.
Thanks screen man- haven't seen BFT before- subscribed- even happy to try lowering my seat by 10mm to try it, though I don't rock on my hips when pedalling so happy I've set it right for me...

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Well they used to be 22 front rings (well there still are if you run 9 speed triples). It’s only 8% lower gear what mtn bikes had almost 25 years ago. So in effect an extra gear. So not a huge jump in that time.
Yeah but with a triple you still have the 2 other rings? 30 with a 10 is hardly “fast”

Top Bottom