Mods and Rockers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went out for a ride on my 1970's 750 Yamaha this morning (the first this year) and coming back into Leicester I caught up with a group of around 50 Mods on scooters. Unlike the old days we just nodded and smiled. ;)

Burnt um off from the lights, though:biggrin:

thomas

the tank engine
Nice one! I just booked a CBT last night for when I'm back in Norwich, in between my UNI exams. Look at getting a little scooter for during summer (and beyond...)

Probably something like a C90 as they're really simple and not too expensive. ;) I think you'd probably thrash it at the lights though :tongue:

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
thomas said:
Nice one! I just booked a CBT last night for when I'm back in Norwich, in between my UNI exams. Look at getting a little scooter for during summer (and beyond...)

Probably something like a C90 as they're really simple and not too expensive. :biggrin: I think you'd probably thrash it at the lights though ;)

Only up to 29mph, Officer.:tongue:

Plax

Guru
I studied Mods & Rockers in my first year at Uni many years ago when I had to take modules from another subject (do they still make you do that? I took modules in sociology and anthropology and think I would have much preferred computers). Anyway I think I'd rather be a rocker than a mod. Quadrophenia was well ace.

Bandini

Plax said:
Anyway I think I'd rather be a rocker than a mod. Quadrophenia was well ace.

Luckily we don't have to choose now. I liked Lennon's 'mocker' idea, as I am a bit of a 'rod' myself! :tongue: I like all sorts of music - some very heavy and very 'alternative' stuff. But I dress a bit more like a mod, and am often assumed to be such.

bauldbairn

Hilldodger said:
I caught up with a group of around 50 Mods on scooters. Unlike the old days we just nodded and smiled. ;)

More likely to be "Scooterists" or "Scooterboys" than "Mods" in this day and age I'm affraid.

Scooterist - somebody who likes Scooters(probably Italian but not always). Probably leads an ordinary life like you or I.

Scooterboy - like a utility cyclist uses his/her scooter as their main form of transport(more hardcore than a scooterist). Probably likes one or more of the various music scenes involved in scootering(Psycho Punk - Rudeboy - Ska - Reggae - Northern Soul - Skinhead - Indie/Garage - etc,etc). Possibly travelling major mileage to scooter Rallies/Functions.

Mod - Scooter is a fashion statement(certainly Italian, Lambretta or Vespa only) - along with smart clothes - and cool record collection.

I was a Mod during all of my teenage years(1980's) - evolving into a Scooterboy as I got more into Scooters(late 80's/early 90's). I still liked the same music only suits/Fred Perrys/smart shoes weren't practical for driving 500+ motorway miles to a Rally on my scooter.

I covered 18,000+ miles a year on my scooter and attended M.A.G.(Motorcycle Action Group) meetings weekly with my scooter club. We discussed two wheel issues with our biker "brothers" and attended their Rallies. Once they realised these youngsters were covering more miles a year on 125cc/200cc scooters than many of their members - they gladly accepted us. :tongue:

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
I'd say they were Mods, they were all wing mirrors and Parkas on vintage scooters.

ChrisKH

Guru
Plax said:
I studied Mods & Rockers in my first year at Uni many years ago when I had to take modules from another subject (do they still make you do that? I took modules in sociology and anthropology and think I would have much preferred computers). Anyway I think I'd rather be a rocker than a mod. Quadrophenia was well ace.

My sis took me to see Quadrophenia with her very good looking mate when I was 15 (I looked much older). Cue uncomfortable moment for me when the 'doing it standing up' scene came on. :laugh:

TVC

Hay Rog, I saw your mods today. Mrs VC and I were out for a jog and they all came past on the Narborough Road by Fosse Park, an impressive sight, kind of made me wish I had one. [note to self, try to find out where in the loft my parka is].

PaulB

Legendary Member
How can anyone say 'rockers are better than mods'? They're not. Mod fashion, style and cool knocks spots of rocker-ism.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was road riding in South Africa (clang: name drop) one Sunday morning a few weeks ago when several posses of around 80 to 100 big, very loud America style bikes came by. At one point there had been a nasty motorbike accident and as we rode past a huge posse caught up with us. Suddenly I found myself on my road bike caught up in the middle of these roaring motorbikes, blasting along a hot sunny road at about 25 mph, not sure if it was their slipstream or the whiff of testosterone that was giving me the speed! The bikers weren't tough types, they were all paunchy middle aged South Africans and they thought it was quite a laugh too. We finished our ride at a motel where they had taken over the dining room and were busy scoffing the entire buffet of eggs, bacon and other fattening stuff, leaving not much for us.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Plax said:
you have no idea how old that makes me feel.....

Top Bottom