Monitor 'out of range error' in linux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm trying to run a live dvd version of linux and when I get past the splashscreen at the start, and the OS loads the monitor goes blank and displays a message saying "out of range error". It's very frustrating as it runs perfectly well on my other machine.

Anyone know how I can sort this (other than changing the otherwise perfect monitor, before someone suggests it!)?

buddha

Veteran
Is there an option to use something like 'vesa' settings on (or before) the splashscreen?
Usually involves pressing something like F2 or clicking an icon on the first screen you see - depends of course on which linux you're running.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Is there an option to use something like 'vesa' settings on (or before) the splashscreen?
Usually involves pressing something like F2 or clicking an icon on the first screen you see - depends of course on which linux you're running.

It's a debian-based remix. I don't want to install this particular version - not sure if the error would go away if I did! Will give this a try and report back - anything else I can try if it doesn't work?

buddha

Veteran
anything else I can try if it doesn't work?
Depending on how much you can find out (is there a specific forum for this linux), when you get the 'out of range' msg, you could revert to a text-based terminal (crtl + alt + F2 for example should do this) and configure the xserver/display settings from there.

What linux is it?

BTW: I'm not a techie type person. I'm only posting on experience of many issues I've had as a user.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
It's a homebrew flavour based on Debian. May be that some of the customisation is causing the issue.

Hmm... no vesa option on the splashscreen. F2 - whenever you press it - just brings up the language options. I think I'll have to try the terminal option when I have more time to fiddle with it. Also thinking I might try it on my old laptop and see if the drivers on that one are happier with the display range that linux is trying to run by default.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Why would the drivers care ?
It's more likely trying to run a resolution setting that the screen can't stretch.

I see your point. 1280x1024 is the maximum resolution the 4:3 monitor I'm trying to use can run according to the display settings. I have run the livd dvd in the past on a widescreen 1440x900 display (different base unit too) without any issues. Maybe the linux settings are expecting a widescreen display by default?

Why would the drivers care ?
It's more likely trying to run a resolution setting that the screen can't stretch.

Or as sometimes happens, the installation mis-detects which driver it thinks is needed and outputs garbage to the video hardware, which in turn ends up with Out of Range Error, or even a nice plasma effect on the screen.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Or as sometimes happens, the installation mis-detects which driver it thinks is needed and outputs garbage to the video hardware, which in turn ends up with Out of Range Error, or even a nice plasma effect on the screen.

I get this on Xp sometimes - at startup the background is 'torn'. Restarting generally cures it.

buddha

Veteran
It can be a driver issue. XOrg (if that's whats being used as your window server) detects the max resolution your monitor can handle. However, I recently had a case where I was using an old driver (incompatible with the current version of Xorg). The maximum vertical refresh rate was being incorrectly detected and I got the 'out of range' signal.

I got around this by creating a xorg.conf file and manually adding a 'modeline' that I know the monitor can handle. And disabling autodetection of modes in the config file. Although I think the procedure may be different with the latest versions of Xorg, as it doesn't use xorg.conf by default anymore - I think?

If you want a customizable linux CD, slax is a good/easy place to start. Though it's not debian based.

Nice. That's something different otherwise it would inform you it had found new hardware.
So you have some underlying hardware problems too.

Poorly written or corrupt drivers can cause this kind of behaviour, despite correctly functioning hardware... anyone remember Rage3D? Or the ATI drivers that only worked right every other release?

Top Bottom