Mont Ventoux....failed :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
I have cycled up from both Bedoin and Malacene. It is the relentless struggle to keep the bike going at a reasonable pace that is so wearing. The first 3-5 km, is fun, then you get into depression realising that there is still a long way to go. The legs hurt, the heart rate is up, the sun is beating, and you have to keep turning those pedals. The km markers indicate your distance and the height climbed. You pray for the next one, and try to convince yourself, you have missed it, as the last km has lasted for ages. You open an energy gel, and hope for the rush of energy it might provide and then you just keep pushing and pulling.

The mountain fully deserves its Hors Categorie status. I just cannot imagine racing up up it and I have complete respect for the professionals who manage it in the hour or so. It is a serious mountain. If you do decide to try it again, I can heartily recommend Craig and Vicky at Veloventoux. We have been with them twice. They are a great couple of have a stunning B&B close to the mountain.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
yenrod said:
>Driving home, discussing what might have been, Mrs FF said "I'm sure there are organised trips available for you to come and try again when it's cooler..."

I love her enthusiasm for you to try it again !

Yeah, she really wants me dead:biggrin:

Cheers guys - keep it up, I'm not sure whether to be motivated or depressed ! :biggrin:

On that site http://www.grenoblecycling.com/MontVentoux.htm there's one pic that's titled '4 km from the top', yet it looks like you're almost at the radio mast.
That I guess is what'll be so intimidating, that fact that it just goes on, and on, and on.

There was one guy on Cumberland Challenge in a Mont Ventoux/Chalet Reynard jersey, I meant to talk to him but he left the feedstop before I had chance and I didn't see him again.
That seems a suitable keepsake/trophy/pose - but only if I make it and deserve to wear it...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

gavintc said:
I have cycled up from both Bedoin and Malacene. It is the relentless struggle to keep the bike going at a reasonable pace that is so wearing. The first 3-5 km, is fun, then you get into depression realising that there is still a long way to go. The legs hurt, the heart rate is up, the sun is beating, and you have to keep turning those pedals. The km markers indicate your distance and the height climbed. You pray for the next one, and try to convince yourself, you have missed it, as the last km has lasted for ages. You open an energy gel, and hope for the rush of energy it might provide and then you just keep pushing and pulling.

The mountain fully deserves its Hors Categorie status. I just cannot imagine racing up up it and I have complete respect for the professionals who manage it in the hour or so. It is a serious mountain. If you do decide to try it again, I can heartily recommend Craig and Vicky at Veloventoux. We have been with them twice. They are a great couple of have a stunning B&B close to the mountain.

Ditto your description. As for Craig and Vicky...do they Swing as well?

Thanks for the recommendation Gavin, will look them up.

gavintc

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
Ditto your description. As for Craig and Vicky...do they Swing as well?

Thanks for the recommendation Gavin, will look them up.

LOL, the danger of typing without proof reading.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

andy_wrx said:
Jeez that looks busy !
Every man and his dog up there.

If you managed to come down at 40+mph through that traffic - chapeau !

Another reason for getting up early, methinks.

Traffic was not too bad, had to overtake about 5 cars I think on the whole way down...had to yell at a guy on a bike who was busy tacking his way up across the road and had not seen me....Aaaaaaaaagh!

Jonathan M

We drove up Ventoux this summer; I knew I wasn't fit enough to ride it. But next year we intend to stay in the area, and between now & then I have to get fit enough to ride it, even if it is all day up, 30 minutes down. None of the riders going up from Bedoin at about 2pm in the afternoon looked happy (early august) and when I do ride it I will have no shame in stopiing as many times as I need - everyone else seemed to be stopping, especially in the forested bit. The only section that seemed to relent somewhat was the bit just before chalet reynard, but even then there was one fit looking guy weaving across the road.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Alan H said:
What a brilliant film! Inspirational and hypnotic. And precisely the same length as the soundtrack. Chapeau!

Good eh?

Did you spot the dog in the road near the top? Must be a feature of riding in France these days...
The whole video is about 8 1/2 mins, I rode down in about 23/24 mins (brief wait at Chalet reynard for the Mrs in the car to catch-up), thus as the video looks uninterupted it must be speeded-up nearly 3 times faster than my 37mph average and 49 top speed.
Fun eh?

Top Bottom