More Bromptons in Brompton dealers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Expect to see more Bromptons in your local Brompton dealer in the coming months.

Word reaches me that the latest missive from Brompton is that each dealer must stock five or six bikes.

A few years ago Brompton insisted dealers should have at least one up to date demonstrator, preferably no more than a year old.

The company also all but bans internet sales.

Enforcing these requirements is another matter, but fair play to Brompton for attempting to ensure the bike is properly presented in their dealers, which in turn should lead to happy customers.

Seeing and trying is the best way to buy any bike.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
and if you buy one you have to pick it up, they wont send it in the post. Was a total faff getting on the bus train etc especially when you have never had to do a fold/unfold before, dont have it 'down pat' and then look like a total tool when people see you fussing about over it, looking totally confused. Dont assume you can carry it for long, your arm soon gets tired.

Sara_H

Guru
I got mine on the bike to work scheme. Ordered online and was delivered boxed a few days later.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yeebbut - I saved literally hudreds of pounds buying through the bike to work scheme.

Worth it for you with that saving.

I had the impression the OP was buying the bike with his own money.

The schemes are complicated, as you know, but it is possible to buy a Brommie from an independent dealer using the scheme - assuming the scheme rules allow the customer to go to a shop of his choice.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
and if you buy one you have to pick it up, they wont send it in the post. Was a total faff getting on the bus train etc especially when you have never had to do a fold/unfold before, dont have it 'down pat' and then look like a total tool when people see you fussing about over it, looking totally confused. Dont assume you can carry it for long, your arm soon gets tired.

So does that cut out all their international market?

I dont think there is a Brompton dealer in Denmark.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What about the likes of Wiggle? Aren't they going to lose a lot of exposure, and therefore business?

Wiggle don't sell Bromptons because Brompton do their best to stop online sales.

They do the same with discounts, dealers are threatened with the sack if they knock anything off, although some will supply 'free' accessories on the quiet.

Retail Price Maintenance has long been banned, which means you hear occasional grumblings in the trade of illegal behaviour by Brompton.

Nothing seems to happen, so Brompton continue to get away with it - if that's the right phrase.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sorry Paley, I meant Evans...

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/folding-bikes/f/brompton

Same difference really. There ain't a dealer near me, so if I fancied a Brompie it'd have to be Evans. If they knocked that on the head then they've lost a sale. In doubt I'm unique in this regard.

No worries.

I've not clicked through on the link, but I believe even Evans insist the bike is collected from a shop, although you can order online.

I suppose it's about Brompton holding their nerve, but by the same token Evans has a lot to lose because if one shop broke the Brompton rules, Evans could lose the right to sell Bromptons in all their shops.

Top Bottom