More electrical shenanigans - any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm wondering if I can pick the brains of the CC DIY-savvy collective, as I'm a touch out of my depth when it comes to electrics, and the friend who normally helps me out with things is currently shielding again due to Omicron.

Anyways, the last few days, the lights in the house have been running on the dim side. The best way to explain it is that I've taken all the bulbs out and replaced them with ones of a lower wattage. This applies to ceiling lights as well as lights that are plugged in via sockets. And the kitchen strip light is taking an age to start.

I've three circuits for lights and a separate one for sockets, so whatever it is, it's affecting everything, not just a single circuit.

A light bulb failed in the sitting room on Thursday, but I believe this to be coincidental.

I live out in the boonies, and some days the electric isn't great - usually at times of peak demand. But it's never gone on for this long. I've chatted with my above mentioned friend via messenger, and he suggests either an issue with the fuse box itself or an external supply issue.

The fuse box in the house is one of the old style ones, btw. There's one small box where the supply cable comes into the house with an on-off switch, and then a cable goes from there into two separate boxes, each also with an on-off switch. One, I'm not sure what it does as I've never opened it, the other has the fuses for the three light circuits, the cooker, the sockets and one other thing I can't remember.

I'm also convinced the lights in the garage and utility room aren't running at full capacity either - and they have their own separate supply and fuse box. The latter is one of the newer types. Or maybe I'm just really being paranoid and seeing things...

Anyways, what do you folks think? What should be my next port of call - UK Power Networks, the bods I pay the bills to (Eon) or an electrician?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like low voltage coming into the house. Get it down here quite a lot but I'm surprised you're having problems there. I should call your supplier first and see what they have to say. What about other appliances?

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Sounds like low voltage coming into the house. Get it down here quite a lot but I'm surprised you're having problems there. I should call your supplier first and see what they have to say. What about other appliances?

I haven't used any appliances as I don't need to cook right now LOL... The fridge is full of snacky things. So I can't say's I've noticed anything with that. Laptops are running fine when plugged in though.

Just been on the supplier's website, and their customer service dept is shut until Tuesday (4th), what with all the bank holidays.

midlife

Guru
I can't think of anything inside the house that would make all the lights dim, sounds like a supply issue?

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
As mentioned above, you've a slightly lower voltage supply to the house than would be normal. It's relatively common in rural areas and especially at times of peak demand on the network, such as at Christmas and New year. I whitish be too concerned but if you know someone with a meter it would be worth checking it. The allowable tolerance is huge (as per Ofreg) so unless it's mentally low there's bugger all you can do about it. I'd say it'll improve early next week as people had back to work etc.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
As mentioned above, you've a slightly lower voltage supply to the house than would be normal. It's relatively common in rural areas and especially at times of peak demand on the network, such as at Christmas and New year. I whitish be too concerned but if you know someone with a meter it would be worth checking it. The allowable tolerance is huge (as per Ofreg) so unless it's mentally low there's bugger all you can do about it. I'd say it'll improve early next week as people had back to work etc.

I've lived here for donkeys, and it's never been this bad, and certainly never for this long.

It's like the 100 watt equivalent bulb in my sitting room has been replaced by a 60 watt or something, and the yellow colour cast is truly godawful. I normally have a 60 watt in my dining room, which gets good daylight, and that's plenty, but I've had to put a 100 watt in just to see what I'm doing...

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
I've lived here for donkeys, and it's never been this bad, and certainly never for this long.

It's like the 100 watt equivalent bulb in my sitting room has been replaced by a 60 watt or something, and the yellow colour cast is truly godawful. I normally have a 60 watt in my dining room, which gets good daylight, and that's plenty, but I've had to put a 100 watt in just to see what I'm doing...
The networks are creaking at the seams but there could be other network issues and switching going on so your normal lines could be of of commission and supplied via an alternative route.
Give it a few days and then report back.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The networks are creaking at the seams but there could be other network issues and switching going on so your normal lines could be of of commission and supplied via an alternative route.
Give it a few days and then report back.

Well, I've got to sit tight till Tuesday, as my supplier's customer services dept is shut till then anyways...

I didn't think is was anything in the house - well, I've checked for all the obvious things, but it's always at the back of your mind. And it's stressy, because outside of replacing a fuse, I'm out of my depth with things electrical*

* electrics and plumbing I leave to the experts. My late father's attempts at DIY have taught me to know when to say "I don't know"

Top Bottom