More electrical shenanigans - any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Might be worth reporting to your supplier anyway, at least it logs the issue in case of future changes, or might alert them to a potential failure.

Good point... I'll see if there's a facility on the E-on website for logging faults.

UK Power Networks are on the Book of Faces, so I can go that way.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Maybe it's all the people charging the new electric cars that they got for Christmas.
Seriously though - The most likely cause of low supply is the supplier network - External to your house.
I wouldn't expect New Years Day to be a time of high power demand.
The industrial and commercial level of demand will be low.
It's affecting all your lighting and power circuits, so it's unlikely to be a problem with your house distribution board.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Maybe it's all the people charging the new electric cars that they got for Christmas.
Seriously though - The most likely cause of low supply is the supplier network - External to your house.
I wouldn't expect New Years Day to be a time of high power demand.
The industrial and commercial level of demand will be low.
Can you plug a portable lamp into a socket outlet to see if this is affected in the same way.

Yep, things like my desk lamp and the free-standing lamp in the sitting room are also affected. They're plugged into the sockets, which run on a different circuit to the ceiling lights.

It's been like this since Thursday. :sad:

aferris2

Guru
Any neighbours who would be on the same feed? Assume it's overhead cables so follow the wires and ask if they are experiencing the same thing...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Yes, overhead cables here. I'm the first house on the road and the electric pole is just the other side of my hedge. As far as I am aware, the line for my house comes down the pole, under the verge, under my path and into the house.

The feed here is complicated, because there are far fewer houses on this side of the road than on the other, so I'm not entirely sure who gets what and from where.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I suggest you get a qualified electrician in to find out what the problem is and then proceed accordingly.People on here cant properly diagnose the problem. You just have to bite the bullet and get someone in.

presta

Guru
Having the same fault arise in multiple places simultaneously isn't a plausible scenario, so you're always looking for the parts of the system that are common to all faults. If you're sure it's affecting all circuits then it has to be upstream of the consumer unit(s). It's worth looking around the CU and its connection to the meter for signs/smells of overheating, but failing that, it's most likely to be a fault in the line to the house. Neighbours with the same problem would be a dead giveaway. Don't leave it till Tuesday if you find anything overheating, https://www.eonenergy.com/emergencies.html.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Having the same fault arise in multiple places simultaneously isn't a plausible scenario, so you're always looking for the parts of the system that are common to all faults. If you're sure it's affecting all circuits then it has to be upstream of the consumer unit(s). It's worth looking around the CU and its connection to the meter for signs/smells of overheating, but failing that, it's most likely to be a fault in the line to the house. Neighbours with the same problem would be a dead giveaway. Don't leave it till Tuesday if you find anything overheating, https://www.eonenergy.com/emergencies.html.

Sorry, what's the CU? :blush:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The fuse box in the house is fine as best I can tell. I had a poke and prod at that yesterday evening, it's not been tripped or anything, and I've checked, cleaned and replaced the breakers. Not that it made any difference.

Can't smell anything funny either. The fuse box is in the broom cupboard next to my habitual armchair in the sitting room, so I'd notice pretty quickly if there was anything awry.

I'm also convinced the lights in the garage / utility room are running dim, and that has a completely separate feed to the house. Each half of that building has its own fuse box, btw.

Top Bottom