More electrical shenanigans - any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When you gents say supplier, I'm assuming you're all talking about the people who maintain the infrastructure...

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but my brain is goo.
I don't know how to contact the people who maintain the transmission and distribution network but ideally, those are the peeps. You could try UK Power Networks but I suspect the only route to them will be via the people you send money to when you get an electricity bill.

You need the Witchita Lineman.......

[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxSarBcsKLU[/media]

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I'll try both then... Doesn't hurt to try. :smile:

UK Power Networks are the folks who maintain the kit out here. If memory serves, there should be a code on the pole to quote when reporting a fault...

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I'm wondering if I can pick the brains of the CC DIY-savvy collective, as I'm a touch out of my depth when it comes to electrics, and the friend who normally helps me out with things is currently shielding again due to Omicron.

Anyways, the last few days, the lights in the house have been running on the dim side. The best way to explain it is that I've taken all the bulbs out and replaced them with ones of a lower wattage. This applies to ceiling lights as well as lights that are plugged in via sockets. And the kitchen strip light is taking an age to start.

I've three circuits for lights and a separate one for sockets, so whatever it is, it's affecting everything, not just a single circuit.

A light bulb failed in the sitting room on Thursday, but I believe this to be coincidental.

I live out in the boonies, and some days the electric isn't great - usually at times of peak demand. But it's never gone on for this long. I've chatted with my above mentioned friend via messenger, and he suggests either an issue with the fuse box itself or an external supply issue.

The fuse box in the house is one of the old style ones, btw. There's one small box where the supply cable comes into the house with an on-off switch, and then a cable goes from there into two separate boxes, each also with an on-off switch. One, I'm not sure what it does as I've never opened it, the other has the fuses for the three light circuits, the cooker, the sockets and one other thing I can't remember.

I'm also convinced the lights in the garage and utility room aren't running at full capacity either - and they have their own separate supply and fuse box. The latter is one of the newer types. Or maybe I'm just really being paranoid and seeing things...

Anyways, what do you folks think? What should be my next port of call - UK Power Networks, the bods I pay the bills to (Eon) or an electrician?
Iv not read through the 4 pages of replies so this may have been said already. I would guess it’s an issue with the power supply to your house and nothing to do with your fuse box, wiring or lights. Sounds like there could be I2R losses in the power lines due to a peak in demand (everyone on at home boiling kettles and cooking things). This results in a volt drop (more so with old cables and transformers etc). I would contact who ever maintains the electricity supply so for example my provider is British Gas but I would be contacting Western Power Distribution.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The fuse box in the house is fine as best I can tell. I had a poke and prod at that yesterday evening, it's not been tripped or anything, and I've checked, cleaned and replaced the breakers. Not that it made any difference.

Can't smell anything funny either. The fuse box is in the broom cupboard next to my habitual armchair in the sitting room, so I'd notice pretty quickly if there was anything awry.

I'm also convinced the lights in the garage / utility room are running dim, and that has a completely separate feed to the house. Each half of that building has its own fuse box, btw.
That certainly does change things, I was going to suggest isolating each circuit at the fuse board and turn on one by one and see what the lights were like then. However if the two buildings are electrically separate then it is more likely the incoming supply. Network guys need to come look first and if that’s ok ?? I’m afraid you will need a sparky to come look.

Lozz360

Veteran
Retired electrical engineer here. As others have said, it all points to a drop in the voltage on the supply to your house. You say there are new builds near you? These new properties will be putting extra demand on your local infrastructure. However, the supplier is obliged to maintain your power supply to a voltage within a determined level.

The company to contact will be your District Network Operator. In your case, this is UK Power Networks. The company you pay your electric bill to are effectively just brokers and won’t be able to help.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm wondering if I can pick the brains of the CC DIY-savvy collective, as I'm a touch out of my depth when it comes to electrics, and the friend who normally helps me out with things is currently shielding again due to Omicron.

Anyways, the last few days, the lights in the house have been running on the dim side. The best way to explain it is that I've taken all the bulbs out and replaced them with ones of a lower wattage. This applies to ceiling lights as well as lights that are plugged in via sockets. And the kitchen strip light is taking an age to start.

I've three circuits for lights and a separate one for sockets, so whatever it is, it's affecting everything, not just a single circuit.

A light bulb failed in the sitting room on Thursday, but I believe this to be coincidental.

I live out in the boonies, and some days the electric isn't great - usually at times of peak demand. But it's never gone on for this long. I've chatted with my above mentioned friend via messenger, and he suggests either an issue with the fuse box itself or an external supply issue.

The fuse box in the house is one of the old style ones, btw. There's one small box where the supply cable comes into the house with an on-off switch, and then a cable goes from there into two separate boxes, each also with an on-off switch. One, I'm not sure what it does as I've never opened it, the other has the fuses for the three light circuits, the cooker, the sockets and one other thing I can't remember.

I'm also convinced the lights in the garage and utility room aren't running at full capacity either - and they have their own separate supply and fuse box. The latter is one of the newer types. Or maybe I'm just really being paranoid and seeing things...

Anyways, what do you folks think? What should be my next port of call - UK Power Networks, the bods I pay the bills to (Eon) or an electrician?

Simple check, stick multi meter in one of the sockets to test live and neutral. It should be 230V AC. Then stick the black lead in the earth and see if you have 230V too. finally measure between neutral and earth. There should be virtually zero voltage in AC. An electrician does this with a mega testing meter. But the same principles apply by looking for voltage drop across L-N, L-E and N-E

You said that you replaced your bulb with lower wattage ones which may be contributing to the fact that they’re running dim.

As others have said, it could also be a network issue with low volts coming into the property. If that’s the case then I’d check with neighbours to see if they’re having similar issues.

As an employee of one of the distribution network operators (DNOs) who works on the underground cables I can say that the voltage coming in can vary due to other factors such as load on the network or faults on the network where your supply could be fed from an alternative source to keep it on during repairs, though it should always be in the +10%/ -6% of 230v parameters or in layman’s terms 216-253v. You could always call your DNO, explain your situation and ask if there is (or has been) a fault in the area, and they may even send out an engineer to investigate this for you and install a voltage monitor for a short period to check for abnormalities in the supply. Just call 105 and give them your postcode if you’re unsure who your DNO is and they’ll put you through.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Retired electrical engineer here. As others have said, it all points to a drop in the voltage on the supply to your house. You say there are new builds near you? These new properties will be putting extra demand on your local infrastructure. However, the supplier is obliged to maintain your power supply to a voltage within a determined level.

The company to contact will be your District Network Operator. In your case, this is UK Power Networks. The company you pay your electric bill to are effectively just brokers and won’t be able to help.

For over a decade when my heat source pump starts up with over 70 Amps surge, my neighbour says his lights dim. In recent years the Electric board have upgraded all the cable in the village. He no longer mentions a voltage dip from his lights.

If his voltage is down and there are poor services to the area this points to the likely issue

For over a decade when my heat source pump starts up with over 70 Amps surge, my neighbour says his lights dim. In recent years the Electric board have upgraded all the cable in the village. He no longer mentions a voltage dip from his lights.

If his voltage is down and there are poor services to the area this points to the likely issue
Yeah, with the advent of heat pumps and car chargers etc, our DNO is actively upgrading the network in anticipation of this. All new supplies that we do (in new builds at least) are three phase as a minimum now.

It’ll be quite a lot of work to upgrade it all as some of the areas we cover are run on bits of wet string and often single phase!

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Simple check, stick multi meter in one of the sockets to test live and neutral. It should be 230V AC. Then stick the black lead in the earth and see if you have 230V too. finally measure between neutral and earth. There should be virtually zero voltage in AC. An electrician does this with a mega testing meter. But the same principles apply by looking for voltage drop across L-N, L-E and N-E

It would help if this girl actually *had* a multimeter... :blush:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
You said that you replaced your bulb with lower wattage ones which may be contributing to the fact that they’re running dim.

As others have said, it could also be a network issue with low volts coming into the property. If that’s the case then I’d check with neighbours to see if they’re having similar issues.

As an employee of one of the distribution network operators (DNOs) who works on the underground cables I can say that the voltage coming in can vary due to other factors such as load on the network or faults on the network where your supply could be fed from an alternative source to keep it on during repairs, though it should always be in the +10%/ -6% of 230v parameters or in layman’s terms 216-253v. You could always call your DNO, explain your situation and ask if there is (or has been) a fault in the area, and they may even send out an engineer to investigate this for you and install a voltage monitor for a short period to check for abnormalities in the supply. Just call 105 and give them your postcode if you’re unsure who your DNO is and they’ll put you through.

Actually re the bulbs, I dug out some old incandescent ones I had knocking around yesterday just to see, and they ended up being dimmer than the LEDs.

The voltage can be variable out here in the boonies - you can usually tell by the brownness of the toast. Sometimes it's a little noticeable on the lights, but nothing like this.

The cabling here is overhead. The only underground bit is the section that runs from the base of the pole to the house, which is all of about 12 feet.

Actually re the bulbs, I dug out some old incandescent ones I had knocking around yesterday just to see, and they ended up being dimmer than the LEDs.

The voltage can be variable out here in the boonies - you can usually tell by the brownness of the toast. Sometimes it's a little noticeable on the lights, but nothing like this.

The cabling here is overhead. The only underground bit is the section that runs from the base of the pole to the house, which is all of about 12 feet.
At the very least I’d be calling your DNO and get them to send a overhead lines team out to check connections on the terminal pole and check volts/earth fault loop impedance on the main line, check with neighbours etc. Give them a bell on 105 (free) and they will send someone out to check (also free).

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I was going to suggest isolating each circuit at the fuse board and turn on one by one and see what the lights were like then. However if the two buildings are electrically separate then it is more likely the incoming supply.

I have just done that (it's the one thing I didn't think of yesterday), as it doesn't cost me to check. No difference to anything. So it all does point (as best I can tell) to an external fault.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
At the very least I’d be calling your DNO and get them to send a overhead lines team out to check connections on the terminal pole and check volts/earth fault loop impedance on the main line, check with neighbours etc. Give them a bell on 105 (free) and they will send someone out to check (also free).

Mine also do a live chat, so will have a go that route. I've already made a note of the number on the pole.

Neighbours is a bit more problematic, as we're all pretty far flung here. And I'm on a "spur" as the next house on this side of the road is nearly a mile away.

Top Bottom