More electrical shenanigans - any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine also do a live chat, so will have a go that route. I've already made a note of the number on the pole.

Neighbours is a bit more problematic, as we're all pretty far flung here. And I'm on a "spur" as the next house on this side of the road is nearly a mile away.
Low voltage overhead lines do tend to span a lot farther than on the underground and as such can end up with lower volts at their remotest points but they can still check the connections at your cutout and meter, on the terminal pole, the feeding substation (or pole transformer) and still enquire with others connected on the same bit of network (if any). If they determine the supply volts to be a little low then they may make adjustments to the transformer output (known as tapping up) although if you’re on a spur it may mean a short outage while they do so, hard to say for sure not knowing the exact feeding arrangements of your particular section of network.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Just did a rough and ready test with my daylight balanced craft lamp, as it's usually eye-wateringly bright. But it's equally dim when plugged in to the garage supply as it is in the house. It's not mega scientific, but it more or less proves it's not a domestic fault.

At least that is (hopefully) my arse covered in that respect.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Low voltage overhead lines do tend to span a lot farther than on the underground and as such can end up with lower volts at their remotest points but they can still check the connections at your cutout and meter, on the terminal pole, the feeding substation (or pole transformer) and still enquire with others connected on the same bit of network (if any). If they determine the supply volts to be a little low then they may make adjustments to the transformer output (known as tapping up) although if you’re on a spur it may mean a short outage while they do so, hard to say for sure not knowing the exact feeding arrangements of your particular section of network.

Thanks, really appreciate the explanations :okay:

Most of the houses along here are on the other side of the road, and ergo most of the poles are on the other side of the road. Well, when I say road, it's a gravel track for much of its length.

if you were really bored and good at maths then you could isolate everything but a few known outlets and count the draw over 1hr, that is of course if the meter counts its units based on a full 230v dose, does any know if it does ?

i feel a rebate coing on^_^

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I have a PhD in engineering, so yeah, I can do maths. I am not quite that bored, however... :laugh:

And in any case, the meter is in an outside cabinet which I don't have the key for.

I have a PhD in engineering, so yeah, I can do maths. I am not quite that bored, however... :laugh:
You solved a massive dilemma that was in my head for yonks. And it has nothing to do with gender. Your attention to details, your ability to articulate technical stuff clearly including the first opening post of this thread, your posts on racing among other things. I can sleep tonite.

CXRAndy

Guru
Personally I would not stick anything in any socket , plus you will have a hard job as they are blanked off until an earth pin is pushed in. Leave it to the pros! Get the supply checked first and then get the electrician in if required if supply is ok .
Stick insulated screwdriver in earth socket, releases pin guards. Then as with all multi-meters, the leads are insulated. The pins are far enough apart not to be a concern of shorting together.

Better still for electric shock, undo face plate from wall, measure behind or take shroud from consumer unit and access terminals there. :whistle:

If the OP hasnt a meter or a friend with a meter, hasnt/doesnt have the confidence to test the voltages. Call in an electrician. Who will in seconds determine whether its the incoming supply to the home or another issue.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Stick insulated screwdriver in earth socket, releases pin guards. Then as with all multi-meters, the leads are insulated. The pins are far enough apart not to be a concern of shorting together.

Better still for electric shock, undo face plate from wall, measure behind or take shroud from consumer unit and access terminals there. :whistle:

If the OP hasnt a meter or a friend with a meter, hasnt/doesnt have the confidence to test the voltages. Call in an electrician. Who will in seconds determine whether its the incoming supply to the home or another issue.

Seriously :eek: i think the OP with Phd in Engineering is not going to take that advice ! :okay:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru

Hmm, I'd rather not end up with hair like Hermione Granger... :tongue:

On a more serious note, I've near enough ascertained that it is a supply issue, because I have the same problem in the garage / utility room, which is a separate building and has its own supply and fuse boxes.

I ran a test with a plug-in lamp and a light meter, and it runs equally dim in the garage as it does in the house.

Top Bottom