More electrical shenanigans - any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
You lot crack me up. There is nothing unsafe with sticking an insulated screwdriver into an Earth pin on a wall socket. You could easily do the same for each of the pins and be totally safe.

If you know what you're doing.

Ive got over 30 years of electrical/ electronic trade experience. Everyone is so timid of trying to sort problems out for themselves these days.

Like I said if you dont have the confidence get someone who has :okay:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You lot crack me up. There is nothing unsafe with sticking an insulated screwdriver into an Earth pin on a wall socket. You could easily do the same for each of the pins and be totally safe.

If you know what you're doing.

Ive got over 30 years of electrical/ electronic trade experience. Everyone is so timid of trying to sort problems out for themselves these days.

Like I said if you dont have the confidence get someone who has :okay:
Same here dafty but I’d never suggest to someone on the internet to go and take that risk ?! That’s just stupid !!

CXRAndy

Guru
Same here dafty but I’d never suggest to someone on the internet to go and take that risk ?! That’s just stupid !!
Im sorry its neither stupid ir risky. Coupled with the fact this person has a high level of 'engineering' qualifications. He can surely understand the simple process with insulated tools.

I highlighted insulated because its key to ensure safety

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Im sorry its neither stupid ir risky. Coupled with the fact this person has a high level of 'engineering' qualifications. He can surely understand the simple process with insulated tools.

I don't have the right (i.e. insulated) tools. Ergo I'm not going to try.

My area of expertise is in strength of materials and vehicle impact. And I'm female, btw... :girldance:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How would you measure the voltage then

I know do you :okay::blush: :laugh:

However I wouldn’t be sticking screwdrivers in socket holes to do it !!! You know there’s a reason for all these safety features !! :blush:

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
How would you measure the voltage then ?
It reminds me, in my day when diagnosing microwave oven problems. I would regularly tap into the magnatrons HV circuit to test current draw whilst running the oven and also HV output. AlI done using an analogue AVO meter. Fluke digital meters back then weren't able to measure the peak HV
-too high.

Some years later we had a warranty claim for our home microwave. The technician would replace a suspect part, without any circuit testing, put the case back on and test.

I asked him why he didn't circuit test to diagnose the problem instead of parts swapping. He said they weren't allowed to test live equipment. :eek:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know do you :okay::blush: :laugh:

However I wouldn’t be sticking screwdrivers in socket holes to do it !!! You know there’s a reason for all these safety features !! :blush:

Yes but you do need access to the conductors, and I'd not see it as any worse than taking the front off the socket, or similar at the consumer unit. I'd want a pukka meter, and especially the leads though - which my Fluke hopefully is.

I'm not advocating the screwdriver in the earth trick for avoiding a plug on an appliance or anything like that - but have seen it done :stop:

Reactions: C R

CXRAndy

Guru
Depending on the fault , you don’t need to do any testing ?! My rather spendy built in microwave stopped heating, did everything bar heat the food ! Easy fault to diagnose ,no need to measure anything , magnetron goosed ! New one bought and hey presto hot food once more .
But it could have been short/open circuit rectifier or capacitor gone open circuit or low capacitance.

You could just throw parts at it. Obviously magnetrons are an obvious suspect, but not always the case. Also other components can damage good replaced parts if you dont know how to test components

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well to be fair I did test the diodes :blush: come to think of it and the scorched magnetron was major clue :laugh::laugh::laugh: . However I’m confident of my abilities and have access to testing equipment at work and at home. However I’ve also come a cropper once or twice so wary !

Lozz360

Veteran

Seriously? You’re advising the OP, who in her first post said “I’m out of my depth when it comes to electrics” to stick multi-meter prongs into a live socket! Apart from the possible contact with live parts, someone unfamiliar with the kit might have the meter set to read current instead of voltage. The result would be disastrous.

OP has, later on in the thread, stated that she has a PhD in Engineering, so will be familiar in the use of a multi-meter, so the risk as described above is minimal in her case. It’s still risky advice to give on a public forum.

Top Bottom