More forgiving tyres than M+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got 28mm M+ tyres on my flat bar but they scare me. When pumped up to 100psi or so, they feel very hard and slippery and are adding to my nervousness on the bike :sad:

What would be a good puncture resistant replacement that are less solid. This may be psychological but I felt very wary going over rough stuff, drains etc yesterday...and it was bone dry!

Looking at the 28mm Vittoria Rubinos, but happy to pay more for something else if needed. A bit less heavy, slow and draggy would be good too if such a thing exists

djb1971

Legendary Member
100psi is high for 28mm.

try lowering the pressures a little, if youre still not happy with them durano plus are a little more forgiving with excellent p****** proofing.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah ok, will lower a bit to 80.

Can't find durano plus in a 28 right now. Tredz have gator skins for under £23. If decent fairy repellant, these any good, quicker?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I didn't find gators very good at puncture protection . Nice tyre though ..... when it isn't flat :angry:

potsy

Rambler
Marathon Supreme are pretty good, 28's are the thinnest width they do.
Much lighter than the +'s but still decent protection, they are my tyre of choice now for any of my bikes that can take that width (or wider)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Gator skins is a good choice, my other half has been using them over the winter and she finds them good only 23mm though, I like the four seasons a really good winter tyre, but i may even leave them on in the summer. they are that good.:okay:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
As above - lose 20-30psi and your world will change.
To be honest, I've never been happy, they have always felt slippery when wet, and I am sure most of tne time tne tyres haven't been running 100psi as I am not the best at checking the pressures!

Specialized Nimbus. I have the 26x1.5 version on my Marin and I have to say it's a fast, smooth and problem free tyre. Don't know how many miles I've done but about 2-3000, no punctures and no concerns on grip.

Citius

To be honest, I've never been happy, they have always felt slippery when wet, and I am sure most of tne time tne tyres haven't been running 100psi as I am not the best at checking the pressures!

Rubinos would be worth a shot then - a much nicer ride than the M+

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The Sirrus came with Nimbus Armadillos which did a good job of puncture protection for the first 2000 miles or so, but the tread did get thin after that which meant the first puncture was quickly followed by the second and third. I've no idea how they compare in weight etc. to M+'s, I would probably have replaced them with the same, but had moved to Durano + which I liked (the 28's are more like a 26 though). I'm now running M+'s on the Sirrus because I wanted a bit of tread for the winter and am perfectly happy on them, so my experiences may not help you.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Marathon Supreme are pretty good, 28's are the thinnest width they do.
Much lighter than the +'s but still decent protection, they are my tyre of choice now for any of my bikes that can take that width (or wider)
I'm impressed with my Marathon Supremes. And the folders were easy to get on and off the rims. Not had to since putting them on, though.

Top Bottom