More forgiving tyres than M+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Now they are a good tyre, I originally asked for them for my hybrid but the lbs didn't sell them so it was the M+

zacklaws

Guru
I bought my Marathon plus a long time ago, but disliked them because they are hard to fit, so never fancied ever having to fit them on the road if I punctured and also because of the rolling resistance was high. I refitted them last summer on my cross bike to watch the Tour de France and not took them off since and rode through the winter months on them but have never found them slippy apart for a couple of wheel spins going up a steep hill. I was also pumping them up to 120lb till I fixed a puncture last month and noticed they should only be 115lbs, but even so I don't feel them hard whilst riding.

As for Bontrager Race lite hardcase, I could never get them off quick enough,on my first outing on them, crashed in the wet when my tyres slid away from me on a gentle bend at 19mph. When I looked at my downloads, I had never took that bend at less than 29mph and in the wet. Before I removed them though, I suffered a lot of punctures and I consigned them for my turbo trainer, and I even had a few punctures on that too initially. Be glad when there worn out.

zacklaws

Guru
It depends on what type of riding you do. I do a lot of fast club riding etc and did use Continental GP4000 S 23mm and 25mm for a long time, but got sick of the high price especially when a tyre was rendered useless after ripping sidewalls etc, but last year changed to Maxiss Refuse 23mm and so far, very impressed with them.

But for just messing about, I have grown to like my Marathon plus and found that I can push them hard enough on club rides to keep up, the summer months may be different though when the pace increases. Also found them simple to fit on Bontrager race lite rims, almost can get them on with just my fingers so not worried about puncturing out on the road anymore.

But as I say, its down to what type of riding you do and what your preferences are, durabilty, cost, puncture protection, rolling resistance. There are many good tyres out there. Its just a case of finding one to suit your needs, but like a lot of things, what works for one rider may not work for another.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
On that bike, shopping, commuting, pottering

I don't do anything fast on a bike and I hate changing punctures

potsy

Rambler
What did you end up going for vickster?

My Supremes have just arrived from Germany, pretty good as only ordered last Wednesday.

mythste

Veteran
Ive been using gator hardshells.

Put hairs on me chest. Not recommended. (but im cheap so im "wearing them in" until I'm used to cornering at 4mph)

Top Bottom