More forgiving tyres than M+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
I put M+'s on a spare bike I have and found them a bit slippery when it's damp. The Landcruisers I have on my everyday bike haven't punctured in the few hundred miles I've done on them and are much better in the mud and away from tarmac - lots of sand and gravel roads around here. Plus they're dirt cheap, roll fairly well and don't wear.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes by £35 versus £10 is a massive difference! Evans have matched the price on the Gatorskins for me at £22.46 or some silliness...decisions

potsy

Rambler
I've just ordered a pair for the Flyer, the lbs have said to take anything in I want fitting to it and they will do it before I bring it home.

Saves me the faff of fitting them as I doubt I'd use the Conti's that come with it as standard, plus they are fitting some mudguards.

Another vote for Bontrager race lite hard case - I buy mine for £13 a tyre, and maybe I got a bad batch of M+, but when I tried Marathon plus I got 200 miles from new before getting a puncture on my usual route to work. Admittedly it was a route with lots of broken glass, but the Bontragers were doing 1500-2000 miles over it before puncturing. Plus the M+ were a pain in the thumb, hand, fingers etc. to mount!

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Vittoria open pave, not cheap but hey they are awesome wet or dry, you can get them in 25s or 28s.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've now asked Evans for a match on the Bontrager, see what they say. They also have 20% off when buy two Bonty tyres, whether they'll honour that as well, I'm doubtful

I'm now far more confused than when I first asked the question :biggrin:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Drop the pressure and they feel much better I run at 75 front 85 rear also they take a while to 'scrub in' and then they grip OK
I've already done maybe 500 miles on them, they aren't new. I've just not ridden that bike much lately (nor indeed any bike). They just don't inspire confidence, which I need them to do right now (or at least not take it away)!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My fairly limited experience tells me anything with Marathon written on it lasts well and is good against punctures, but harsh and not very grippy on asphalt, cycle tracks or in the wet.

A couple of riders in my group use Land Cruisers and rate them.

There is a Road Cruiser if you want something more road-orientated.

Looks like minimum width in 700c is 32:

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/road-cruiser.html

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I do want to stick with 28mm. The bonty seem to be a front runner, on price not least :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have Rubino pro tech on my commuter. They have a bit of extra protection compared to standard Rubinos and are supposedly better in the wet.

Top Bottom