more halfords feedback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
evening all ,went to halfords kilmarnock branch to pick up a bike for someone who got it on the c2w scheme ,never owned a bike before so i went with her just to make sure their were no obvious cocck ups and as i had a bike rack i said id go down and meet her there ,
so turned up and as promised everything was ready ,the girl there just ran a few things through the computer ,got a few things signed and she wheeled the bike out ,a carrera crossfire 2 hybrid with everything on it ,the girl that picked it had went to town ,she had lights ,lock.pump,water bottle ,mudguards rack and a whole load of cycling clothes and helmet
now the new owner was pleased as punch as its a good lookin bike and straight away tried it round the retail park ,,,all good ,she said it was smooth and quiet and changed gear and stopped well (discs as standard.
now bearing in mind i really only gave it a cursory look over and made a point of saying to themabout put together correctly etc ,was told "oh yes ,all our bikes are built properly ,head mech blah blah blah,safety check....etc etc we set off and secyrely strapped it to the rack ,
now gen when im strapping a bike to the rack on car the webbingruns through the spokes therefore securing the wheels as well as the frame ,this bike has a severly sloping top tube so i had to mount it i n such a way that i couldnt run it through the back wheel but the bike in gen was secure ,a wee last check and off we went
we left kilmarnock ,along the dual carriage way going pretty slow and carefully ,got a few mile down the road and i noticed the guy behind me flashing the lights ,i stooped to see what he wanted and he just drove on with his passenger gesturing and pointing ,so as i had stopped i went to check on the bikes in case a strap had came loose or something ,the new bike had no back wheel:eek: ,it had obv fell off somewhere along the road ,i was:gun:
halfords hadnt tightened the quick release up properly!
we drove back and managed to find it ,i wass expecting it to b totally mangled and driven over ,but no ,it was lying at the side of the road with just a bent skewer to show as damage
so back to halfords we went and to cut a long story short they were saying we must have released it in tying it on ,and would replace the skewer ,we kicked up a fuss with me demanding to see the manager and the boy that built it before it was app safety checked by the "head mechanic " who just happened not to b there ,the young guy was prob just sat job and just put the wheels on it an hr before
long story short we got a whole new wheel taken off another model and took both wheels off for the return journey
i read them riot act , potential serious accident ,blah blah blah ,not impressed ,bad reputation ,all the stuff u would say and left the store with a newbie cyclist not impressed with halfords inspections !
moral of the story ,dont take a store workers word on a safety issue ,check it yourself ,(in tgis case i never but just assumed if there was anything wrong itd b a wee thing ,not bloody wheels falling off!
check those skewers peeps

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
added to that tdy(sun )my chain wrapped right roung my chainset and had to walk 5 ml pushing the bike
always carry a chain tool :blush:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
evening all ,went to halfords kilmarnock branch to pick up a bike for someone who got it on the c2w scheme ,never owned a bike before so i went with her just to make sure their were no obvious cocck ups .............
halfords hadnt tightened the quick release up properly!
we drove back and managed to find it ,i wass expecting it to b totally mangled and driven over ,but no ,it was lying at the side of the road with just a bent skewer to show as damage............check those skewers peeps

EPIC FAIL on your part I'm afraid. You knew about Hellfrauds bad rep but you didn't do a few basic checks before letting your friend/colleague ride the bike? Minimum in this case would be tyre pressures (thump press check), brake pad alignment and performance in the case of rim brakes or a reality check for discs, front wheel clamped between legs and have a tug at the handlebars to make sure they are not loose and , yes you've guessed it, wheel security. Kids are taught to check their bikes this way at EVERY ride as part of bikeability. Personally I think this is a bit excessive for a well used and well cared for bike but I must admit, on tonights commute home just as I got to the top of a massive, steep flight of steps, I glanced down to check the quick release levers where exactly where they should be. The bike had been in the works bike shed all day and you just never know what some kn*bhead might consider a funny prank!!!

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
yeah hold my hands up , i never checked it,but the thing is i never got the chance to give it a going over before the girl rode it around the car park ,halfords were happy for it to b released and ridden ,so although i should have caught it i think in this case it was their fault ,i mean if i wasnt there she(new owner( would have just took it away home none the wiser to have the wheel fall off at some point

Good morning,

"and straight away tried it round the retail park ,,,all good ,she said it was smooth and quiet and changed gear and stopped well "
Why are you so sure that Halfords are wrong and that you didn't accidently undo the wheel when mounting it on your rack?

A loose skewer would normally result in the wheel sliding and rubbing on the chainstay under even light loads, yet this bike was ridden sufficently fast to change gear and then stop without the rider noticing the grinding sound of wheel rim on chain stay.

Bye

Ian

screenman

Legendary Member
Good morning,

"and straight away tried it round the retail park ,,,all good ,she said it was smooth and quiet and changed gear and stopped well "
Why are you so sure that Halfords are wrong and that you didn't accidently undo the wheel when mounting it on your rack?

A loose skewer would normally result in the wheel sliding and rubbing on the chainstay under even light loads, yet this bike was ridden sufficently fast to change gear and then stop without the rider noticing the grinding sound of wheel rim on chain stay.

Bye

Ian
I was thinking the same.

screenman

Legendary Member
added to that tdy(sun )my chain wrapped right roung my chainset and had to walk 5 ml pushing the bike
always carry a chain tool :blush:
Are you taking it too Halfords for servicing?^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
M check every time for me. I know the head mechanic intimately.

M-check. That's the term I was looking for. My kids explained it is called that because of the shape it makes. Start at the front wheel, move up to the bars, down to the pedals, up to the saddle and finally down to the back wheel. If you draw the moves as lines on a picture of a bike you get an 'M' :becool:

I guess she won't be mithering you for bike advice again Jim so maybe you didn't totally screw up :thumbsup:

The rear wheel QR was loose and the rider AND her friend didn't notice ???

This is possible. I used to commute by bicycle between home (Holland Park) and University (Malet Street). I was a keen cyclist and knew all about maintenance.

I used to time myself (1980s, so no computer) and made up lost time on the homebound stretch by BOMBING down the hill on HPA, from Notting Hill Gate. I was young and carefree and fearless, so there was plenty of bunny-hopping and swerving.

One day (high summer) I got home after a particularly ferocious ride, lifted my bike up to carry it down to the basement and... the front wheel fell out.

I couldn't believe it, but it is perfectly possible to sprint, steer, brake and smash potholes to no ill effect with the QR clanking free.

Unless... it happened just before I got home.

Carry on.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I rode the red route at llandegla and only noticed the rear qr was loose when I was in the middle of those really tight switchbacks. I wrote a furious letter to the bike builder, who agreed that it was a very silly thing to do.

Top Bottom