More helmet BS; by Carol Kirkwood.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Carol Kirkwood was knocked off her bike by a car last year.
She has been reliving the traumatic event in various parts of the media today, which is all very good until she mentioned the H word....

She explained: ‘I have a huge nose as you can see, so my nose hit the deck and had a lovely big, black bruise on it, but my helmet had a peak at the front and that’s what stopped my face hitting the ground.’

So her nose "hit the deck", but somehow the rest of her face was saved by a peak at the front of her helmet? At best, it might offer some protection to her forehead, but her face? Very strange.
Generally I quite like Carol Kirkwood, but what drives people to come out with this nonsense? It just adds more ammunition to the pro compulsion mob. Maybe she has been "got at" by some of them?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe she has been "got at" by some of them?
Almost certainly. It ain't nicknamed the Bike Bashing Corporation for nothing. Have you seen all the visitor bike parking at their HQ? No? That's because there isn't any.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Carol Kirkwood was knocked off her bike by a car last year.
She has been reliving the traumatic event in various parts of the media today, which is all very good until she mentioned the H word....

So her nose "hit the deck", but somehow the rest of her face was saved by a peak at the front of her helmet? At best, it might offer some protection to her forehead, but her face? Very strange.
Generally I quite like Carol Kirkwood, but what drives people to come out with this nonsense? It just adds more ammunition to the pro compulsion mob. Maybe she has been "got at" by some of them?

I would doubt they are her own “pure” thoughts, I would think, someone has seen an opportunity for public “education”.

It so happens, I am a helmet wearer, but, would not like to see it become compulsory

Love the 'it was a pure accident, of course" married to
" I was out on my bike and got knocked off it by a car that drove into me"

not really sure those 2 go together??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So, three weeks off with a bump on her nose. Good god. Traumatic. I've done worse, much worse.

Probably the peak folded down - she must have fallen weirdly.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To be fair I think it's probably just how she perceived it happening. She may not be 100% correct but a crash can be a bit traumatic and memories and interpretation of the facts can be a bit unreliable. She may not even know that it's a contentious topic. I didn't until I started hanging round on cycling forums.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have no idea who Carol Kirkwood is.

But about four years ago I came off my road bike going downhill. I was tavelling about 40mph. I slid down the hill head first and face to the road. I still have very visible scarring to my elbows and forearms. I had a helmet with a peak and it was ground down as if you had taken an angle grinder to it.

Had I not been wearing a helmet with a peak, all that grinding would have been on my face. I would have been a real mess. So miss Kirkwood may talk a load of drivel. But on this occasion, she could well be correct.

icowden

Veteran
Her nose "hit the deck", but somehow the rest of her face was saved by a peak at the front of her helmet? At best, it might offer some protection to her forehead, but her face? Very strange.

Why? The average female nose sticks out 2.2cm Thus if she faceplanted as is suggested, that polystyrene helmet possibly prevented her entire face smacking the concrete, thus saving her forehead, cheekbones etc, whilst failing to entirely protect her nose.

Try it yourself. Get a long ruler, pop your cycle helmet on and then hold the ruler from your chin to the front of your helmet. That is the additional "crumple" zone that you benefit from when wearing a helmet. Obviously there is an element of compression when the helmet hits the ground, but it is providing more protection than your head without the helmet.

Personally I'd rather a bruised nose than a broken one.

Top Bottom