More knees - and bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
My last two audax rides I've had pain on the inside of my knees. That then carried over to my next rides, with the pain starting earlier on each occasion. I've really rolled back on my mileage, trying to spin on the turbo and ride cautiously when out on the bike. I've seen some improvement, but there is still some discomfort.

I've a 600 coming up in less than 3 weeks, so in desperation I went for a bike fit. A thorough process, involving lots of measurement and some video analysis. The outcome was raising my saddle by 13mm and turning my cleats a few degrees. Apparently my feet were sitting right at the extreme of the float in the cleats and I should have been somewhere in the middle, with a bit of 'give' to each side. I need to test it, but hopefully that's me fixed and I can proceed without wrecking my knees.

ozboz

Guru
Now I’m doing longer rides I’ve been experiencing more of an ache than pain on the insides of my knees ,, please keep us informed of your bike fit ,

newts

Veteran
I was getting pain on the inside of my right knee. Part of my bike fit involved using a vertical laser line through the pedal stroke. Laser line stayed well within the kneecap on the good side during the full pedal stroke. The problem knee splayed about 60mm off in an outwards direction. Small cleat adjustment & thin wedge straightened the knee tracking & has cleared the issue. IT band stretches have also been helpful.

Last edited:

durianrider

Make sure you get a white out pen and outline any cleats. That way when the cleats slip from a loose bolt you an spot it easier or also when fitting new cleats you can do it to the exact spot the old ones were at. Many people don't know this tip and get knee pain as a result.

Another massive tip that changed my cycling comfort was 'if you stand with heels in then set your cleats up so your heels are in!'. This prevents strain on ITB etc. Ive seen so many new cyclists get injured from not knowing this.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Now I’m doing longer rides I’ve been experiencing more of an ache than pain on the insides of my knees ,, please keep us informed of your bike fit ,

I completed my 600 successfully with one sore knee, but overall it was much better than my 400 and the pain subsided much more quickly. I'd say it definitely made a difference.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just sitting on a table with your legs dangling will allow you to see the natural posture of your feet. You need to aim to get close to that with your cleats and have the feet in the middle of the arc of movement. If they are restrained inwards or outwards by being at the edge of the range of float.you will soon suffer knee pain.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Don't forget that in France you'll need to adjust your knees for riding on the right hand side of the road.

Naaah, I'm going to leave my knees alone and adjust my bike instead. It will be weird operating my gears with the opposite hands however.

Top Bottom