More mobile research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I handed out 5 FPNs in the space of 4 hours yesterday....could have got more, however some I had to ignore as I was on my way to another job, or they were heading rapidly in the other direction.. It was like shooting fish in a barrel to be honest.... Should get a few more today!:sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is there any research on whether those caught change their behaviour or whether they think it took x years to get caught this time so I should be able to get away with it again. I guess police officers don't know what has caused previous points on their licence when they stop someone.

Perhaps its time to enter into an agreement with mobile phone providers, that will allow a phone to be disconnected when the driver is caught using it.

We have used a similar method to stop malicious fire calls made from mobiles, and its had a dramatic effect.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I reckon it's partly to do with all the other piddly little laws that have been introduced, people are so ****ed off with crap little laws that they ignore the sensible ones too...

Cab

The level of risk is akin to drink driving. It would be logical therefore to treat it just as harshly.

StuartG

slower but further
What I cannot understand is why, when you can get a bluetooth headset for around a fiver, people bother to take an unnecessary risk of getting a fine/points? When it is a professional driver (taxi, WVM ..) whose career is at risk - it is ludricous.

There is something about the need for risk when driving that we need to know something more about.

gavintc

Guru
I completely agree with the comments made above. However, the 'risk' from a driver's perspective is low. Few are caught and even fewer are prosecuted. We simply do not have sufficient police on the streets to make this (and other laws) effective.

In my last job, I was responsible for a large workforce and monitoring whether their licences were up to date and had points. I would say that none of them were caught by a policeman and all were caught by either a speed camera or a traffic accident that brought the cops to investigate further. So, in sum, it is a crime that most drivers think they can get away with (like running red lights!!).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
From my recent experience with FedEx, some employers are beginning to take mobile use while driving seriously. I think they're looking at it from a liability and insurance point of view rather than a strictly legal 'don't break the law' perspective, but maybe it shows that the threat of large (in this case civil) penalties would be more effective.

Shooting fish is right though. In my six mile commute on not particularly busy not-London town roads, it would be unusual not to see at least one driver on a mobile. Although I've no particular beef with WVM, they're easily the worst offenders. I'm more surprised when I see one who isn't. I'm really shocked by the number of HGV drivers from a local building site I see on mobiles though.

Just to lighten the mood, has anyone ever gesticulated to a driver only to discover he was scratching his ear?:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Last week Mr Summerdays saw a driver on the phone and stared hard at him ... it had some effect ... 3 seconds later the driver was seen clutching a bobble hat to his ear:biggrin: - not quite the effect he was hoping for.

Bollo said:
From my recent experience with FedEx, some employers are beginning to take mobile use while driving seriously.

When I worked for CFT we used to regularly get memos sent to us reminding us that mobile use while driving was illegal and inconsiderate and that the managers were constantly up and down the motorways touting for business and would be looking out for drivers using their phones. Anyone seen behind the wheel of a CFT lorry using their phone was in serious bother with the boss.

atbman

Veteran
It wasn't helped by a gutless government when it originally introduced the law and give a 3-month period of grace during which drivers wouldn't be charged with the offence

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
andrew-the-tortoise said:
If the +3 points 'aint working, then I would make it +6.

Don't think the fine has much effect though - would have to be a couple of thousand to make people really think.

When I was learning to drive one of the instructor's other pupils had just been rumbled under the New Drivers Act and at least one of the two offences was being caught using a mobile. She got hauled back to do the test again.

Top Bottom