More Opinions Needed.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Over The Hill said:
I think the ones giving orders will get peoples back up. Far better to give them something to think about.

In the one minute I have taken to think about it how about

country-lane-thumb4955542.jpg
"What is around the corner?"

then a range of second pics
deer-crossing-road.jpg or biking.jpg or horse-riding.jpg

with a tag line of
"expect the unexpected" or something

Excellent idea's OTH and they have all been considered already, the "whats around the corner" message was deemed not hard hitting enough for short term exposure and research has shown that using the term 'corner' with pleasant imagery of said corner with no sign of danger may be seen as a challenge (how fast can you take it).

as for "expect the unexpected"... well it is already part of the message and in supporting material, honest! :biggrin:

Wigsie said:
the "whats around the corner" message was deemed not hard hitting enough for short term exposure and research has shown that using the term 'corner' with pleasant imagery of said corner with no sign of danger may be seen as a challenge (how fast can you take it).

Wigsie ... i spent 10 years as an agricultural contractor and the "expect the unexpected" is very true of rural roads i once pulled out of a gateway (slowly) with a very big 4 wheel drive tractor on a slight bend only to have a young driver in a reanault 5 embed his car into the front of the tractor ... sadly the young driver will only ever drive his wheelchair now :biggrin: had he of been a few seconds later he would driven straight into the back of a 5 furrow reversible plough

Simon

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Muddyfox said:
Wigsie ... i spent 10 years as an agricultural contractor and the "expect the unexpected" is very true of rural roads i once pulled out of a gateway (slowly) with a very big 4 wheel drive tractor on a slight bend only to have a young driver in a reanault 5 embed his car into the front of the tractor ... sadly the young driver will only ever drive his wheelchair now :biggrin: had he of been a few seconds later he would driven straight into the back of a 5 furrow reversible plough

Simon

Thats really sad Simon, when researching for this the stats are shocking and some really sad case studies. The variety of what can go wrong is the problem, its difficult to know what to target, expect the unexpected is about the only way to sum it up.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. :wacko:

montage

God Almighty
(2 is the best, thinking about what 2 meant, take their eyes off the road, and crash.)but seeing as the majority of the population is thick, I would go with 4, as people would spend too long

Why am I writing in green and a small font? I know not

I like 3!

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
threebikesmcginty said:
I'm holding back for a bit yet then I'm gonna go crazy on this thread :tongue:

I am so excited at the possibility of this... a bit of wee just came out!

blockend

TBH all a bit quiet for me. The best road safety pics I saw were at the police stand at a motorcycle rally years ago. Most were the result of people trying to glue broken handlebars together and suchlike. Heads and legs all over the road.

One was of a bloke who'd restored a Vincent and in his keenness to try it out hadn't done up the brake cables properly. He went through a van IIRC. Clever copy writing has no place in road safety - guts is best.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
blockend said:
TBH all a bit quiet for me. The best road safety pics I saw were at the police stand at a motorcycle rally years ago. Most were the result of people trying to glue broken handlebars together and suchlike. Heads and legs all over the road.

One was of a bloke who'd restored a Vincent and in his keenness to try it out hadn't done up the brake cables properly. He went through a van IIRC. Clever copy writing has no place in road safety - guts is best.

Must admit I am a big fan of the hard hitting 'honest' stuff! saw this and thought it was great, we have pitched harder hitting creatives before, but the council are too afraid of complaints and we always end up softening it. The DfT and Think! can get away with it though which is a shame because I would love to do something really hard hitting.

Anything which will get people to slow down and not drive like a knob is good. poster 2 for me. poster 1 the pothole doesn't do it..perhaps a cyclist/tractor/horse rider/deer.
poster3 gets message across, but may be more tuned to a tv ad. Poster4 needs some work to put more context on it.
Some other ideas from top of my head.
Depends on how much writing needs to be conveyed but the most dangerous roadside object is a tree.
Slow down, other road users do, you should too.
"keep the countryside tidy" with a picture of a smash. or "The countryside [Rural roads] welcomes neat/tidy drivers" with similar picture.
If its a TV ad, I would have something like a driver in the country with his sat nav pointing out dangers. .. at next bend slow down as its milking time at deepdale farm etc..

Top Bottom