More positive news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Will people keep cycling in foul winter weather when the roads are full of careless and aggressive drivers again? It takes a particular kind of hard nut to cycle-commute all year round.
I did for the best part of three years, day and night/early morning. Nearly all of it on "A" roads.

Will people keep cycling in foul winter weather when the roads are full of careless and aggressive drivers again? It takes a particular kind of hard nut to cycle-commute all year round.
Who knows? And what is the problem with getting more riding in the good weather?
(the countries with lots of cyclists still seem to get loads in winter. I'm sure you've seen plenty of examples)

(have you joined the grumpy old bastartds, with nothing but negativity to contribute club? God knows you'll have plenty of company here ... )

classic33

Leg End Member
But there are things that could be done, let's start early & think of the change in the future, there are 2 primary schools in the village (do they even call them primary anymore?) neither of them have an secure facilities for scooters or bikes, neither are accessible safely by scooter or bike. From the age of about 6 I walked myself to school. over a corn field, or the long way round down the road, but it was perfectly safe with no roads to cross. Both schools in the village could have shelters built, all the roads that need to be crossed could have pedestrian crossings.
Local primary schools, 100 yards & 800 yards from where I am, had cycle storage removed by the governors. One of whom was a ward Councillor. Similar situation in other local schools, no cycle parking.

I caught a bus to infant/junior school, just outside the town centre. 10 minute walk from the town centre to school, alongside what was an extended work in progress on an "A" road. Phase 2 still to be completed. Parking was a problem them, two schools on opposite sides of the road. Now it's got buses as well.

Brooks

Who knows? And what is the problem with getting more riding in the good weather?
(the countries with lots of cyclists still seem to get loads in winter. I'm sure you've seen plenty of examples)

(have you joined the grumpy old bastartds, with nothing but negativity to contribute club? God knows you'll have plenty of company here ... )
LBC were talking about it for a couple of hours today, got the usual idiots phoning up saying they work too far away to cycle (that one was only 3 miles) but talked about the weather as well. I'm not being funny but for me cycling generates warmth when I'm cycling in the winter. I'm far warmer cycling than waiting at a train station or bus stop. Everything was negative, " we need a shower after cycling" gawd knows those people can whine!😀

I think what holds people back is the distance of a commute has grown further than they can walk or cycle
True, going to be a mega problem. Many many folk are going to have little chance of cycling into work in london. Ever since the 30s at least many folk have lived a long way from work. House prices have also driven many miles and miles out. The years have long gone when the inner city was full of poorer folk.
Of course lots more folk should cycle to work but i really wonder what this is going to do to london and other major cities.

D

Deleted member 26715

Free Park & Ride with lockers to store bikes (with a charging point) would be a good first step, with then safe traffic separated routes into the centre of the town/city

D

Deleted member 26715

That was coming anyway, they have only brought that forward from next year.

Should prove interesting on some bike lanes. :eek:
Depends what kind of e-scooter they are talking about, are they the stand on ones, the Go-ped type or are they the proper moped style scooters?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I see the Daily Mail have decried this emphasis on getting people out of their cars as a stark choice between catching coronavirus on public transport, or being "crushed to death" by a lorry while riding a bicycle. Their opinion, doubtless deliberate to inflame the masses and boosts readership, and influence is as dangerous as David Icke and 5G, or the anti vaccination crowd, and they really should be stopped.

tom73

Guru
The statutory guidance which is effective as of yesterday. Makes things pretty clear what the government is asking for.
"The government therefore expects local authorities to make significant changes to their road layouts to give more space to cyclists and pedestrians" The good old "mandatory cycle lane" get's a mention but explains that without added physical barrier it wont meet the changers needed. Can statutory guidance be used to get a council to do something or can they just file it and move one ?

tom73

Guru
Depends what kind of e-scooter they are talking about, are they the stand on ones, the Go-ped type or are they the proper moped style scooters?

The stand on type via street rental. Trial In 4 "future of transport zones" West Midlands Portsmouth and Southampton, the West of England Combined Authority, and Derby and Nottingham.

Slick

Guru

I'm not sure if there will be additional restrictions but I think it's the stand on ones.

Top Bottom