More positive news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I like that - "no region is better equipped than the west midlands to test, review and implement trials..."

The same west midlands that screams blue murder when once a year some roads are closed for between 90 minutes and 4.5 hours to accommodate a cycling event? The same west midlands that ignores the road closures and deliberately runs marshals over? I can't think of a region morally or intellectually less suited to such trials.

I see the Daily Mail have decried this emphasis on getting people out of their cars as a stark choice between catching coronavirus on public transport, or being "crushed to death" by a lorry while riding a bicycle. Their opinion, doubtless deliberate to inflame the masses and boosts readership, and influence is as dangerous as David Icke and 5G, or the anti vaccination crowd, and they really should be stopped.
Did they offer any positive suggestions as to how crushings by lorries might be minimised?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
No, alas, they simply suggested it as an inevitable consequence of not driving a car 2 miles to work.

BTW, I don't browse the mail because I approve of it. I read it on a know thy enemy basis, and because their reporters always make their excuses and leave when they realise they're in a knocking shop.

pawl

Legendary Member
When I visited York last year I was surprised to see how many people were cycling at rush hour.Certainly appeared the local authorities had spent some cash marking cycle lanes.and I didn’t see any conflict between motorists and cyclists

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I see the Daily Mail have decried this emphasis on getting people out of their cars as a stark choice between catching coronavirus on public transport, or being "crushed to death" by a lorry while riding a bicycle. Their opinion, doubtless deliberate to inflame the masses and boosts readership, and influence is as dangerous as David Icke and 5G, or the anti vaccination crowd, and they really should be stopped.
Look on the bright side - it's only a matter of time before they start calling for e-scooters to be registered, pay road tax, etc and call for them to be banned.
Might mean they leave cyclists alone for a few weeks...

D

Deleted member 26715

Why the snottiness? @Phaeton made a valid point and included a link to pertinent information. I hadn't realise how big the numbers were actually.
It's his/her MO, just ignore like I do, they have a troll symbol on my system.

tom73

Guru
It's his/her MO, just ignore like I do, they have a troll symbol on my system.
Saves so much time a system like that :smile:

roley poley

Über Member
When I visited York last year I was surprised to see how many people were cycling at rush hour.Certainly appeared the local authorities had spent some cash marking cycle lanes.and I didn’t see any conflict between motorists and cyclists
The vale of York was blessed with flat land in god's own county so he could skew the figures and have a laugh;)

Chris Boardman has a diplomatic streak that I greatly envy!

I heard him say yesterday that this was a great time to try out various infra, traffic-restrictions etc, during this "unusual" crisis; see how it goes, if we* don't like it, we can always wind things back once pandemic/lockdown is over.

*which I suspect is code for car-owners!

That's an interesting statement, do they, I have always envisaged that more people live over 8+ miles from a city centre, be interesting to know which is fact
I guess it depends on how you define cities. My point was that there are millions of people within easy (e-)bike range of work, even if many are not.
2018 had 55.3mill living in "urban" areas; of course not all those are in "cities", but they will have jobs within ebike range:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/984702/urban-and-rural-population-of-the-uk/

We can argue about the finer points of this, but clearly there is a market there, so let's be positive!

Who you calling a G.O.B.? I've earned that right through life experience; and by the way I haven't even f'in started yet. One man's negativity is another man's realism.
Bring it on - there's nothing better than a bit of negativity, dressed up as "realism", justified by "life experience". I can't wait!

(p.s. dont try to piggy-back on other's disputes - if you want an argument, have the decency to start your own, my dear old thing.)

IaninSheffield

Veteran
2018 had 55.3mill living in "urban" areas; of course not all those are in "cities", but they will have jobs within ebike range:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/984702/urban-and-rural-population-of-the-uk/

We can argue about the finer points of this, but clearly there is a market there, so let's be positive!
Viewing those data would seem to need a premium account?
The figures here from gov.uk, albethey somewhat dated (2014), indicate an urban/rural split in England of 83/17%.

Top Bottom