Morning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I always greet cyclists of all types when out on the bike. Some look bemused, usually the "casual" cyclists, who probably don't expect it. I tend to see more "serious" roadies and a lot do speak but many seem too snobbish and just give me a dirty look for daring to speak to them! They have all the latest bikes and gear whereas I ride "cheapish" bikes,use clips and straps and wear a cap rather than helmet. As cyclists we should at least acknowledge a kindred spirit no matter what level you are at.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I I tend to see more "serious" roadies and a lot do speak but many seem too snobbish and just give me a dirty look for daring to speak to them! .

That is also my experience.

And some seem to resent having to overtake me, I suspect because they fear losing a second off their latest lava target or whatever it is.

If maintaining speed is that important, they should be on a track.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
That is also my experience.

And some seem to resent having to overtake me, I suspect because they fear losing a second off their latest lava target or whatever it is.

If maintaining speed is that important, they should be on a track.
Yes they seem pretty obsessed with those stats apps or whatever they are. Most seem to engage in "p*ssing up the wall" contests,instead of just enjoying the ride!:rolleyes:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes they seem pretty obsessed with those stats apps or whatever they are. Most seem to engage in "p*ssing up the wall" contests,instead of just enjoying the ride!:rolleyes:

There have been similar problems with riders trying too hard on fun rides.

I had experience of that on the Durham Big Ride and others on here had it with a ride in Scotland.

What satisfaction they get from greasing me - a middle aged bloke on a Brompton - is hard to fathom.

My mate who runs a bike shop calls them weekend warriors - too scared to go real racing because they know they'd get wiped up, so they set out to 'beat' leisure cyclists instead.

Sandra6

Veteran
I always say "hi" to other cyclists, some reply, some don't, some speak to me first.
I always say "morning" to dog walkers when I'm out too, some reply, some don't, some speak to me first.
I always say "hello" to customers in the shop, some reply, some don't - do you get the picture?!

T1PAU

As my ride to work is mainly rural lanes I only meet a few humans, so I just say hello/morning to all the Horses, Cows and Sheep I pass, sometimes they reply!

RWright

Guru
I only regularly see a couple of my close neighbors walking and a guy in the area walking his dogs. I say hello to anyone I see. I also speak to the neighborhood dogs. I get replies from them sometimes too.

Psyklon

I always acknowledge my fellow cyclist whatever type of steed they ride! Don't always get a response though, mainly off non-roadies. Maybe it's because the non-roadies would not be expecting a nod from a lycra-clad roadie! If I pass a group of riders it's just one big "hello" in general!

Gary E

Veteran
I'm going to be doing some research into this issue. I've noticed a pattern emerging when I'm out cycling with a mate of mine. There's a cycling club that we often come across at some point in the ride but despite our cheery salutations they never reply.

I had a theory that they were ignoring us because we were both riding flat barred bikes whereas they were all on drops, a theory that gained some weight when they waved back at a road bike just behind us (which incidentally we'd just scalped!) immediately after ignoring us.

I've just converted my Giant FCR from flats to drops so in order to prove my theory one way or the other I'm going to wave at them again when I see them next time and see if I can get a response :laugh:

Obviously I'll report back with my findings :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't know why but i smiled at a snooty looking woman on a big horse the other day, while it was having a dump in the opposite cycle lane!:scratch: She glared back at me the snooty old #~'@!:ohmy: I now thoroughly regret smiling at her!

pawl

Legendary Member
I am old enough to remember when the cry was either up the union or up the legue.For those youngsters out there who do not have the faintest idea what i am on about the two main racing oganisations where theNational Cycling Union and the Legue of British Racing Cyclists.

byegad

Legendary Member
Almost everyone replies to my cheery greeting. The ones that don't are almost always dressed for the Tour de France on expensive bikes (Still cheaper than my recumbent though!) and are idiots!

Top Bottom