Morph's dad has cleaned his last brush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
RIP Tony - you just don't get shows or presenters like that any more, which is a real shame. Quiet, gentle and inspirational.

I still vividly remember being utterly livid as a kid when they introduced Mr Bennett and tried to turn a great art show into a knockabout comedy. Shame on the BBC :blush:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
simoncc said:
I didn't see much of Take Hart. As soon as it came on one of us kids would change channel.
That's probably because you're more mathematical and intelligent so just didn't *get* the art-farty stuff, eh Simon? :blush:

RIP Tony, a soft talking, chalk wielding legend. :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I used to watch VO avidly... then go and try out some of the ideas afterwards... it was truly inspiring to a drawing-obsessed kid like wot I was! :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
I used to watch VO avidly... then go and try out some of the ideas afterwards... it was truly inspiring to a drawing-obsessed kid like wot I was! :smile:

Me too. I don't know how many time I did the 'receeding pastel stenciled landscape' thing, which was always effective, no matter how cackhanded you were. RIP Tony Hart indeed (and I never liked the Mr Bennett stuff either). He made it look so easy, and in fact so often it was, if you knew how, and he showed you how.

So relatively soon after Oliver Postgate too. It's bound to happen, but it is sad to see such huge figures from one's childhood go. I found myself thinking 'who next?' Brian Cant? John Noakes?

I wonder if kids now will have the same thing in 30,40 years from now, or if their 'heroes' are more diluted by the increase in the medium. Growing up I only had the 3 channels, and really only watched the BBC, so I was much more focussed on a small number of people.

Greedo

Sad news but always something quite sinister about Tony Hart. Don't know why but even as a child I found him a bit creepy!

I really hope they play the gallery music at the funeral.I think that would be so right...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Anyone see Charlie Booker's Screenwipe last night on BBC2? The said it was a different one to that listed, and then it started and was about childrens TV and I thought, 'oh dear, I wonder if this is the one they meant to show?", knowing that it is a fairly irreverent show. It didn't mention Tony Hart though, and ended with the most heartfelt tribute to Oliver Postgate, so maybe that was why they changed it round, knowing people would also think of Tony Hart.

I had a Vision On annual when I was a kid (might still be at my Mum's somewhere), and it had illustrations of the alphabet in Sign Language, which stood me in good stead when I studied it at Evening Class about 25 years later.

Top Bottom