Most overated cycle products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Finish Line and Muc Off dry lube. Squeaky horrible stuff.
Anything by Sealskinz, the waterproof gloves are worse than my five qui Lidl ones, the socks aren't much better.

earth

Continental GP4000 tyres

Rapha

adscrim

Veteran

I would have blindly agreed with you until my brother gave me a rapha jersey as a birthday present. It's excellent. The material is fantastic, build quality is better that anything I have owned, fit is superb and the functianlity is spot on. If I could, it would be all rapha from here on in.

Fiona N

Veteran
There does seem to be a lot of personal preference here - for example I like ShuttVR jerseys (I have 2 and really rate them - not quite as nicely made as Icebreaker merino but way more practical and robust), have used Finish Line wet lube for years and prefer it to any other make for my mtb and winter bike, would never buy any other glasses for cycling, outdoor or watersport, driving, or indeed for my reading glasses, than Oakley.
So I guess I'd have to say some of the commentators on here are WRONG :biggrin: :wahhey:

yello

If I could, it would be all rapha from here on in.

I know what you mean. Rapha stuff is stupidly expensive but that doesn't mean it's crap.

I have a Rapha sportwool long sleeve shirt which I bought several years ago. I think it was some kind of production prototype or somesuch. I paid around (or even less than) £40 for it in one of their annual clear out sales. It's a superb bit of kit; well designed and made, performs superlatively and I love it to bits. Out of interest (and this was only a few days ago) I looked at the Rapha site to just see if they had something similar. They did.... for £155!! As much as I'd love to have the shirt, there's no way I could bring myself to pay that for it! But if I had that kind of money to spend...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Finish Line and Muc Off dry lube. Squeaky horrible stuff.
Anything by Sealskinz, the waterproof gloves are worse than my five qui Lidl ones, the socks aren't much better.

Really? Wow!, I think they are one of the best purchases I have made in years...

Ajay

Veteran
Really? Wow!, I think they are one of the best purchases I have made in years...
Ooh dear, I'm agreeing with upsidedown here, my Sealskin socks have a major design flaw - the big hole at the top where you put your foot in, the water gets in and stays in. If it doesnt rain that much my feet get wet from sweating anyway! They're at the back of my cupboard with the GIORDANA BODY CLONE jacket.

earth

I would have blindly agreed with you until my brother gave me a rapha jersey as a birthday present. It's excellent. The material is fantastic, build quality is better that anything I have owned, fit is superb and the functianlity is spot on. If I could, it would be all rapha from here on in.

I have two Rapha products, the softshell and a fixed jersey and I bought them both in a half price sale. The softshell is quite good although not close to waterproof or even water resistant. The jersey on the otherhand was quite disappointing as it got holes in it almost immediately. If they were not in a sale I would think the jersey was very overpriced and the softshell at the limit.

giant man

There does seem to be a lot of personal preference here - for example I like ShuttVR jerseys (I have 2 and really rate them - not quite as nicely made as Icebreaker merino but way more practical and robust), have used Finish Line wet lube for years and prefer it to any other make for my mtb and winter bike, would never buy any other glasses for cycling, outdoor or watersport, driving, or indeed for my reading glasses, than Oakley.
So I guess I'd have to say some of the commentators on here are WRONG :biggrin: :wahhey:
Perhaps you haven't bought enough Shutt VR to realise how $hit it is .......

earth

Giant Man,

I'm disappointed now that Shutt is getting a bad rep. I like the look of the long sleeve training jersey. :sad:

But then if I buy one I might be as disappointed in it as I am with the Rapha fixed jersey.

Can you describe why they are so $hit?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Perhaps you haven't bought enough Shutt VR to realise how $hit it is .......

Utter Tosh.

I've bought enough to know it is class stuff, as have several on here of my acquaintance, and their customer service is second to none. I had a problem with one item snagging after I wore and washed it and they replaced it without question.

Oh look there's me in my fave Shutt VR jersey in my avatar. Still looks as good and performs as well as the day I bought it. Shame I'm so fat though.

of course if you can't be bothered to care for you kit then.......

Finish Line wet lubricant. Seemed absolutely useless for what it was designed for and much more expensive than similar products that were substantially superior.

I've been using Finish Line wet for several years (on the hybrid) and not had a problem with it, my current bottle is about to run out and I might try something else however, what do you reccomend marin?

gavintc

Guru
To me, the most over-rated product has to be funny leather saddles that some people have on their bikes. For heaven's sake a leather saddle in a country that rains most of the time! Surely, having a product that can alter shape simply because it got wet, must be daft.

yello

I keep striking out with Shutt stuff. I had half an eye on a winter jersey that either sold out before it I got the chance to buy or never even made it to production. Then there's an autumn jersey that's no longer available in my size.

There's supposedly a newsletter out soon with details of yet another jersey that may interest me. Fingers crossed eh?

I've seen Shutt jerseys on another site but whether they actually have stocks or not is another matter.

snailracer

Über Member
To me, the most over-rated product has to be funny leather saddles that some people have on their bikes. For heaven's sake a leather saddle in a country that rains most of the time! Surely, having a product that can alter shape simply because it got wet, must be daft.
Well, enough people walk around in leather shoes, even when it rains.

Top Bottom