Most overated cycle products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

georgiebuzz

I have a Brooks "funny leather saddle" and also a pair of sealskinz socks (£24.00 a pair) and after a 50 mile ride in the rain the only thing that is not up to task are the sealskinz - Once water gets in (which it does) it stays in so at the end of the ride it feels like your feet are in jelly.

longers

Legendary Member
For heaven's sake a leather saddle in a country that rains most of the time!

With mudguards underneath and an arse on top they don't get too wet but I broke one in on an attempt at a long ride which happened to be wet and think the change in effective saddle height helped give me a sore knee, leading to DNF. Still a fan.

Davidc

Guru
To me, the most over-rated product has to be funny non leather saddles that some people have on their bikes. For heaven's sake a leather saddle in a country that rains most of the time is the best possible choice provided it has the right stuff applied once a year! Surely, having a product that can alter shape simply because it got retains it's shape perfectly if it gets wet, must be daft the best choice.
FTFY

Since the Brooks leather saddle is the only comfortable bike seat ever made every other make is a complete waste of money!

Admittedly a Brooks B17 in our climate will only last about 30 to 40 years or until a mouse gets into the garage, but such is life.

TrevorM

Admittedly a Brooks B17 in our climate will only last about 30 to 40 years or until a mouse gets into the garage, but such is life.

My B17 must have been a bad one then. I replaced it this year and it was only 28 years old.
To be honest it didn't need replaced, I just decided a new honey B17 would look nice on my new Galaxy.

Davidc

Guru
My B17 must have been a bad one then. I replaced it this year and it was only 28 years old.
To be honest it didn't need replaced, I just decided a new honey B17 would look nice on my new Galaxy.

That beats my longest lived one (which was chewed up by a mouse at about 20 years). I did have a second hand one that I sold on and is still going strong. It started out in 1962, I had it for a few years in the 90s and sold it after it's bike got wrecked, but it does look a bit tatty now on it's 3rd owner's commuting bike.

zigzag

Veteran
Nope, still do not get it. At 1/2kg for a saddle, there are so many better options available on the market.

it depends what distances you are riding and if you are racing or not. i'd use some lightweight saddle with well padded shorts on a race. if you ride long distances (over 200km), then brooks saddle makes a lot of sense - it's so comfortable that i can ride 200km in jeans and not feel any discomfort. a bit of extra weight becomes irrelevant as you would carry more stuff on a longer ride anyway. i'd be interested to hear about "better options on the market" for long distances as i've tried so many and was disappointed. one weekend i've done 715km on "rido r2" saddle which was good for about 500km, but by the end of the ride it became unbearable.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nope, still do not get it. At 1/2kg for a saddle, there are so many better options available on the market.

but that is true of almost everything, there is always something lighter available, and if there isn't this year there will be next year. For many of us weight of components is just not that important a consideration. A Brooks lets me ride long distances (for me) without padded shorts.

But all is only shows what a subjective subject this is......

For me, well, I'll ride a plastic saddle when I start wearing plastic shoes and gloves.

yello

I like it.... 'a mouse ate my Brooks'. Homework excuse? Sci-fi movie? Or an excuse for a DNF?

barongreenback

Über Member
Hi-viz. Over rated for it's use in london. every tom dick and harry is wearing it and you don't stand out.

I drive in London regularly and I'm always thankful for the cyclists who wear hi viz. I'm much more likely to notice a bright yellow/Scotchlite clad cyclist ahead on my left hand side than one who isn't. Lights help, but hi viz makes a big difference.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I drive in London regularly and I'm always thankful for the cyclists who wear hi viz. I'm much more likely to notice a bright yellow/Scotchlite clad cyclist ahead on my left hand side than one who isn't. Lights help, but hi viz makes a big difference.

Bless. I'm so touched by the attitudes of drivers who 'notice' things like me. It seems like an implicit admission that a driver isn't actually actively looking for cyclists but is bimbling along concentrating, if it can be called that, on the important stuff, like HGV's, who else in the jam has a better car, the legs on the pedestrian passer by, or the driver's mobile phone call, etc.. But I'm sure that is not what you meant.;)

~Turing to your main point. The little available research suggests otherwise. Some even suggests that in the dark black+reflectives on moving parts of body/bike is more effective. Some even suggests that in certain light conditions low sun, wet road, hi-viz is part of the problem.

Either way, if they ain't looking they ain't goinna see you, no matter what, and if they are looking you don't need hi-viz. Seeing someone a mile off in their flourescent outfit is no guarantee you'll remember them once they are within your effective stopping distance or give them 3ft as you pass them. ime anyway.

U

User6179

DHB undershorts-chaff chaff chaff.

DHB bibshorts-see-thru and lacking padding in proper place.

Punture proof tyres that punture all the time.

But the most overated must be anything with Boardman on it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Knog lights.
They aren't that bright. the batteries don't last that long. the visibilty from the lights is poor. The rubber is of poor quality and easily rips when trying to change the batteries.

snailracer

Über Member
Either way, if they ain't looking they ain't goinna see you, no matter what, and if they are looking you don't need hi-viz. Seeing someone a mile off in their flourescent outfit is no guarantee you'll remember them once they are within your effective stopping distance or give them 3ft as you pass them. ime anyway.
That's not how human perception works, though. The eye rapidly and subconsciously picks up on things that stand out from the background, the delay comes in the conscious mind's interpretation of what it is. If the first, subconscious step isn't triggered, the second part never even begins.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
DHB undershorts-chaff chaff chaff.

DHB bibshorts-see-thru and lacking padding in proper place.

Punture proof tyres that punture all the time.

But the most overated must be anything with Boardman on it.

You've obviously never owned a Broadman HT Pro MTB then

Top Bottom