Most under/over whelming touristy thing you have seen ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Yes. Brave post. Well said. Can anyone (non italian) explain its revered status. And for that matter the same chap's recent megabucks auction result. Not saying old leonardo wasn't some sort of wonder but have always been mystified by the mona lisa's supposed brilliance. Oh, and he didn't invent/sketch the bicycle.
Lu and I were in Paris for a gig during a cold January. We went to the Louvre because there were no tourists and you could actually see stuff. The Venus de Milo was really quite impressive, as it is shown in context with contemporary statues and the artistry stands out. The Mona Lisa however, is small, dark and very uninspiring, I really don't get the fuss. Particularly confusing is that whilst moody Liz gets a room of her own, in the next gallery is The Raft of the Medusa which is jaw dropping, no photo of it can do justice to the drama and the quality of the work.

On a similar note, the Haywain appears on countless table mats and is perhaps the most boringly recognisable British painting. However, the real thing is very, very impressive. Like the Medusa, so much is lost in reproduction.

Very nice post reiver, but you had never been on holiday until 40?

TVC

Fond memories of the trip and the bell.

Oh tinpot, not looking for an a la politics squabble - no i didn't find nottingham "overwhelming" - guess my affection for it collided with the thread title and your response. Suggest you me and tvc meet for a drink in derby.
No, not Derby.:headshake:

Lu and I were in Paris for a gig during a cold January. We went to the Louvre because there were no tourists and you could actually see stuff. The Venus de Milo was really quite impressive, as it is shown in context with contemporary statues and the artistry stands out. The Mona Lisa however, is small, dark and very uninspiring, I really don't get the fuss. Particularly confusing is that whilst moody Liz gets a room of her own, in the next gallery is The Raft of the Medusa which is jaw dropping, no photo of it can do justice to the drama and the quality of the work.

On a similar note, the Haywain appears on countless table mats and is perhaps the most boringly recognisable British painting. However, the real thing is very, very impressive. Like the Medusa, so much is lost in reproduction.
Agree tvc. I think the haywain's reputation during my childhood was tarnished by its appearance on so many biscuit tin lids etc so it became rather looked down upon. Time for the mona lisa to be licensed for a variety of domestic products i think.

Reactions: TVC
Pisa.

Somewhat underwhelming.

Once you have seen its famous bit you can understand why it can be a fast coach stop.

The time when pisa was a major european/world power are long gone.

And it doesn't have nottingham's interesting historic pubs :smile:

Though i fear some have gone since my time there.

TVC

Ok, see you nice folks in loughborough.
Why not Leicester?

Serious point here. Leicester has massively improved in the last few years, there has been huge renewal around the old derelict brown sites in the city centre, De Montfort Uni has rebuilt itself into a great campus, and most of all we found our own King. The whole area round the Cathederal* has been completely revamped with a Richard museum, his burial site and the reshaping of the entire old city area. With the National Space Museum, The Great Central Railway (which will soon run to the East Midlands second city Nottingham), Bradgate Park - The birthplace of Lady Jane Grey, Melton Mowbray and the Blue Cheese capitol of the World just to the north, the Golden Mile and the biggest Diwali celebrations outside India there is lots to see and do.

Having lived here for 33 years I am now confident to recommend my city as a worthy weekend break for anyone.

*Some parish churches may be bigger.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why not Leicester?

Serious point here. Leicester has massively improved in the last few years, there has been huge renewal around the old derelict brown sites in the city centre, De Montfort Uni has rebuilt itself into a great campus, and most of all we found our own King. The whole area round the Cathederal* has been completely revamped with a Richard museum, his burial site and the reshaping of the entire old city area. With the National Space Museum, The Great Central Railway (which will soon run to the East Midlands second city Nottingham), Bradgate Park - The birthplace of Lady Jane Grey, Melton Mowbray and the Blue Cheese capitol of the World just to the north, the Golden Mile and the biggest Diwali celebrations outside India there is lots to see and do.

Having lived here for 33 years I am now confident to recommend my city as a worthy weekend break for anyone.

*Some parish churches may be bigger.
Shame some of the best pubs have gone now, The Magazine, Princess Charlotte and the Rutland and Derby (now a 'bistro' but once the Everards brewery's nearest pub with a bar upstairs for the directors of the company, that went out of use when they moved to Enderby) to name 3.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Barcelona for Wow.. Gibraltar for wtf??

Sadly the huge entrance fee makes nearly all things underwhelming

Snowdonia is a favourite free place as are many visually beautiful areas in the UK.
Coastal towns and tourist spots tend to male me feel sad.

TreeHuggery

Whitby museum...this was years ago, so apologies if its changed.
They had some world reknowned fossils, but the way they were exhibited left an awful lot to be desired, looked like an infant school teacher had done the display.

SteveF

Stonehenge it's the size of a garden ornament

That said, getting it built back then must have been some feat of engineering, so mightily impressed with that.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Blimey, how big do you people want Stonehenge to be? If you want a bigger stone circle then Avebury is just down the road although it's less standy uppy. You do know that the stones were all fallen over and and were only re-raised in modern times, right? That's a bit underwhelming in itself.

Underwhelming when I was a kid was every Roman villa we visited, which all turned out to be nothing more than a series of small walls.

Top Bottom