Most unusual thing you've collided with whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben M

On Sunday I had a new cycling experience. Whilst doing just over 50km/h I collided with a rather large object. Thankfully, it hit me in the arm rather than me cycling into it with my wheel. Had I cycled into it I would almost certainly have come off. As it was it was just a heavy thud into my arm, which resulted in me laughing, rather than large amounts of road rash and pain.

So, Mrs. Pheasant who couldn't decide whether she was crossing, or stopping, or crossing, or stopping, thank you for taking flight and not remaining on the road. I hope that you are okay!

I had a good go a few years ago at colliding with a late night dog-walker (with their dog). It was on the way back from a long night at the pub with friends, and for some reason I was drawn like a moth to their torch. Apparently I tried quite a few times to collide with them. Narrowly missed falling into a duckpond about 2 minutes later too. I did once back home have a fairly full-on encounter with a rose bush :blush:

I had a bike encounter with a pheasant once. I wasn't on the bike though. We had them on top of the car on the way to Coed-y-brenin, when out the corner of my eye I saw the pheasant take off out the hedge. It arced towards us, glanced the side of the car and was catapulted upwards, where it was crucified briefly on the bikes, with a wing on each handlebar before the wind took it. I watched it all in a kind of slow motion horror and saw the crucifixion through the sunroof. In real time it happened in the blink of an eye.

My OH has collided (ran over) a dead hedgehog on a fully loaded touring bike - complained it was slippery :wacko:

For me, it was a (live) mountain lemming which I hit whilst cycling along a road near to Alta in Norway. I wanted to adopt it for our tour, but the idea was veto'ed, probably a good idea since one a few weeks later tried gnawing its way into our inner tent leaving me with some repairs to do by hand.

And I frequently get attacked by (real) butterflies for some reason. Don't know why though.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I cycled into a wasp as I arrived at work today and the damn thing stung me twice in the armpit. Other than that my pedal once collided with the road when I put the wrong foot down on a bend, followed by the rest of the bike and myself after it :B)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A bat hit me in the chest a couple of weeks ago. Had a rabbit go under my front wheel on a fast descent. Realised how lucky I was as a friend had crashed when a squirell had got stuck in his front wheel. My mate ended up with a pinned jaw and couldn't eat solid food for a month.

Koga

A Rolls Royce, this was back in the 70's in Holland where RR's were extremely rare, the owner was not impressed with the scratched side panel and two doors (from my steering wheel)....

The back of a stationary milk float 32 years ago, trying to get a foot into a strap and making the fatal mistake of looking down at speed.

It was very loud and very comical and quite expensive and slightly painful. Before that crash, I'd thought they only brought milk, but I landed on all sorts of assorted chilled and dairy produce.

Longshot

The back of a stationary milk float 32 years ago, trying to get a foot into a strap and making the fatal mistake of looking down at speed.

It was very loud and very comical and quite expensive and slightly painful. Before that crash, I'd thought they only brought milk, but I landed on all sorts of assorted chilled and dairy produce.

Did you ever get the strap on?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Squirrel. it got tangled in the front wheel for about a 3rd of a turn and then shot our in a nice arc, brushed my shoulder and landed back in the woos from whence it came. Very lucky it didn't get jammed in the wheel and throw me off as per above.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Pigeon straight through the front wheel - feathers everywhere, but it flew off.

Squirrel - it ran into the front wheel and just bounced off.

Not on the same day

Top Bottom