Most unusual thing you've collided with whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not a collision per se but my second off was as a result of me hoopla'ing my then flatbar around a metal post at the entrance to the rec near me - I took the right hand turn too fast, somehow managed to hook the bike over the post and I ended up on my 'arris on a grass verge. Rather embarrassing, luckily no witnesess to the event which I wouldn't be able to repeat in a million years! :blush:

ACS

Legendary Member
On my commute home on a very dark, very rural single track road when a deer caught my bike as it crossed behind me. Gave me a fair nudge which took me off road. Thought I had held it up rather well and was a bit smug to be honest until I unclipped, put my foot down expecting a firm surface not a large wet drainage ditch. How the mighty tumbled..............

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A fellow cyclist on a training camp on the Costa Blanca!

Being in Spain, we were riding on the RH side of the road. We were riding through the coastal town of Calpe, on a road we had already done about 3 or 4 times earlier in the holiday, so we knew the way, following the coastal road NE towards Moraira.

So, I was at the back of the bunch chatting to a rider on my left. The rest of the group carried straight on at a big roundabout (here), and I went to do the same. The rider I was talking to apparently had other ideas and went to turn right across me. We ended up leaning on each other and wobbling off to the right, before coming to a halt. I asked him what he was playing at and he said that he had decided to go and take a look at the seafront ... WTF! :wacko:

Born2die

On my commuter home on a very dark, very rural single track road when a deer caught my bike as it crossed behind me. Gave me a fair nudge which took me off road. Thought I had held it up rather well and was a bit smug to be honest until I unclipped, put my down expecting a firm surface not a large wet drainage ditch. How the mighty tumbled..............
Sorry I shouldn't laugh but that's so funny

lejogger

Guru
A badger.

Jumped out of a hedge into my foot, scuttled alongside me for a couple of paces and then dived back into the hedge.

Odd little chap... yet larger than I expected a badger to be.

Suicidal pigeon flew into my front wheel once, got flipped round by the spokes and exploded in my forks. Feathers everywhere, but luckily it just gave me a shock rather than a crash.

ayceejay

Guru
I had a bike I had put together myself but I couldn't find any brakes I used the side of my heel on the back tyre to slow me down. Late for school I was pushing hard and had to 'brake' half way down a hill to turn right, the friction burned my heel, I yelped and careened across the road. hit the curb and went head first into a privet hedge. Did I collide with the curb or he hedge?

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I had a bike I had put together myself but I couldn't find any brakes I used the side of my heel on the back tyre to slow me down. Late for school I was pushing hard and had to 'brake' half way down a hill to turn right, the friction burned my heel, I yelped and careened across the road. hit the curb and went head first into a privet hedge. Did I collide with the curb or he hedge?

Not funny :giggle:, it's not funny :giggle:, it's not funny :giggle:, Sorry, can't help it :rofl:

I hope you weren't too badly injured (I would say you collided with the kerb).

You just cheered my day up :biggrin: (which says it all really about my day, thankfully it's Friday :hyper: )

I collided with a kerb when I was a teenager, I tried to bunny hop my steel framed, front suspension mountain bike onto the pavement, and ended up over the bars, onto the pavement (thankfully, so some success). No helmet, no gloves, plenty of road rash on the palm of my hands and on the knees, noggin was fine, that taught me a lesson! :shy:

Rode into a cyclist back in '95.
Was on a cycle path doing about 20' he had stopped at the side of the oath, looked over his left shoulder and seen his mates topped about 50 metres back, so he just turned his bike, straight across the path!!!
Evidently he hadn't seen me until I crashed straight into his front wheel just in front of the forks and I flew diagonally to the side, just missing a tree.

Apart from a graze on my arm and nettle rash, me and my old Puegot racer were fine:thumbsup:
His bike was strangely immobile though - possibly something to do with the mashed front wheel.
His own fault.

surfdude

Veteran
three goats got me a couple of weeks ago . just jumped out of the hedge in front of me then ran off into a field on the other side of the road

D

Deleted member 1258

A flying black bin liner on a very windy day.
Wrapped itself round my head! How I managed to get it off without crashing/falling off I've no idea!

The black bag that got me a few years ago wrapped itself around the rear mech and block, had to almost dismantle the back of the bike to remove it.

Top Bottom