Most unusual thing you've collided with whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Xmas day 2012 Udipur India i was nano seconds away from going arse over head over a little donkey. I kid you not. This little donkey was making an escape bid from a convent which was in a parallel street to the one i was in with what seemed like thousands of cars. It fled past me and promptly stopped in the middle of all the cars to eat some fruit a woman was selling in the central reservation.

All day the group i was with kept singing Little Donkey, Little Donkey

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I ride into thin air all the time, never got hurt.:whistle:
I rode into thin air once, and it hurt.:angry:

At the time,I had a dodgy back light that would go out until I hit it. So I looked back, found the light had gone out, and reached back to the back of my rack to hit it. About the 3rd blow, it came on, so I looked forwards and found that I'd veered from the straight and narrow and was in the process of riding off the road and heading straight for a tree. So I dodged the tree, and then the ground vanished.:eek:

The road was built up on a bank across the floodplain, and I'd gone off the road just where there was a culvert under the road. It was about 6 feet down to the water, plus about about a foot of water and 6 inches of mud. The hurt was that I'd still got one hand on the brake hood when the bike landed, and my thumb got bent backwards.
This is it. The bike is where I rode off. If I'd dodged the tree the other side, I'd have hit the end of the bridge parapet, and it would doubtless have hurt more.
splash.jpg

Last edited:

ShipHill

A bit of rusty metal bar about 5mm in diameter and about a foot long that clattered round my back wheel and chipped paint of my seat tube.

I remember many years ago I ran over a huge crowbar with the front wheel of my 900cc Yamaha when I was doing about 30 mph round a bend on a country lane. I didn't come off, but I held on as the handlebars swung side to side quite viciously, heard a load "clang" and stopped to investigate. My exhaust pipe had a very deep dent in it which made me think how close it could have been to hitting my leg and maybe breaking it. I found the crowbar and put it in the hedge out the way.

chriss2.0

for me there are many,

stationary car

a lamppost

and a crow

oh and my foot got sandwedged between a concrete pillar and my pedal while going about 15 mph,
no breaks fortunately

edit:
*in foot:blush:*

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
probably about 30-40 members of the Salt Ayre running club on the cycle shared use path, taking up the entire width of the track. A few at the front had the decency to yell 'bike' to the rest of the pack... rest of the pack completely ignored what i assumed was suggestion to give the bike a bit of room, and didn't budge. This left me two choices, ride into the joggers or ride into a smelly dyke.

The golf umbrella that I can't remember why I was carrying on my bike, when a lad many years ago. I equally don't remember how it got loose and went through the front spokes, but it did. The rest is a blur but I do recall that it hurt and I needed new forks.

Close encounter with a badger last night - fortunately it saw the light and veered off (does that count?). Hit one in the car a few years ago and they are mighty resilient! Unlike the car.

Bryony

Veteran
probably about 30-40 members of the Salt Ayre running club on the cycle shared use path, taking up the entire width of the track. A few at the front had the decency to yell 'bike' to the rest of the pack... rest of the pack completely ignored what i assumed was suggestion to give the bike a bit of room, and didn't budge. This left me two choices, ride into the joggers or ride into a smelly dyke.
I'd have chosen jiggers! :laugh:

kipster

Guru
When I was a lad, I collided with a a van on a roundabout (well they hit me) the bike stopped I didn't, no damage to me, bike needed front forks (bike was a hand built Holdsworth we picked up from the free ads!). The Holdsworth replace my dad's Falcon that I rode through a pretty solid fence.

sickboyblue

What if one of the female joggers was a smelly dyke?

Top Bottom