Most unusual thing you've collided with whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
6a00e54ecdaa8a883301347ff14274970c-500wi.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I rode into thin air once, and it hurt.:angry:

At the time,I had a dodgy back light that would go out until I hit it. So I looked back, found the light had gone out, and reached back to the back of my rack to hit it. About the 3rd blow, it came on, so I looked forwards and found that I'd veered from the straight and narrow and was in the process of riding off the road and heading straight for a tree. So I dodged the tree, and then the ground vanished.:eek:

The road was built up on a bank across the floodplain, and I'd gone off the road just where there was a culvert under the road. It was about 6 feet down to the water, plus about about a foot of water and 6 inches of mud. The hurt was that I'd still got one hand on the brake hood when the bike landed, and my thumb got bent backwards.
This is it. The bike is where I rode off. If I'd dodged the tree the other side, I'd have hit the end of the bridge parapet, and it would doubtless have hurt more.
splash.jpg

You have just confirmed what I have always suspected all along. Lights CAN be dangerous!

screenman

Legendary Member
Two naked young women who then dragged me off into the bushes and tried to have their wicked way with me, well I was not standing for that sort of malarkey so I laid down instead.

Only kidding, however I have bumped into 3 lots of dogging going on with lots of flesh on view on 3 occasions now, I suppose the quiet Lincolnshire lanes lends itself quite well to this sort of activity.

amaferanga

Veteran
DCFC0094a_bw.jpg

Just missed this guy (that's my tyre track) in the Luangwa valley in Zambia. Puff adder. About an hour later I ran over a green snake, probably either a Boomslang or a Greean Mamba, that was sunbathing on the road. I thought it was a a stick until it got angry.

classic33

Leg End Member
A shoe. It still had the persons foot in it. Left behind after an earlier accident. Handed it into the local police station as found property.

tony111

Veteran
When I were a lad I shut my eyes while riding my bike intending to count to ten , then see where I ended up.I never got to ten, I.'d crossed the road and smashed into a lampost at about six seconds, right in front of a canteen full of women looking through the window. I can still hear em laughing now.

jpj84

Veteran
Back when they were installing the tram tracks out to east Manchester, I was returning back towards the city centre. It's a fairly wide road, but with one side closed for track installation, with temporary lights in place.

I was at the head of the queue as the lights went green, determined not to get caught out, and fall off on the tram track. I was so engrossed by keeping my wheels out of the track that I didn't bother to look ahead, and ploughed straight into the set of lights at the other end of the roadworks.

About five different drivers parped their horns in appreciation as I disentangled myself.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
the leeds liverpool canal, my back tyre burst and i skidded and went straight in :laugh: didnt have a single scratch. cheered my mate up too

To be fair falling into a river could happen to anyone. I think I lost the debate with my Mrs on the virtues of clipless pedals that day. To be fair she did stop suddenly and I wasn't quite ready !

Top Bottom