MoT Test Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Octavia is booked in for its MoT test one day next week

it's a garage that we've used constantly for the past 7 years or so, for all 3 of our cars (barring daughters new car - too young for even first service!!)

I'm expecting a Pass, as it's had a lot of wear & tear componants replaced over the past couple years (4 x tyres, 4 x brake-discs/pads, rear springs & shocks, front struts...)
BUT
There's an intermittant 'Bulb Failure' warning light on the instrument panel
There's no failures, & it's been doing it for a year or so

At its last service, I asked if the ECUs could be interrogated by the laptop/device, to see what bulb it was
Sadly no, every bulb would have to be checked in turn/replaced

Thus....
I can't see it mentioned, in the guidance here. but is this warning a possible 'Fail'
I know ABS lights, etc........ are

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...ivate-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles

sheddy

Legendary Member
Assuming the outside lights - are left and right bulbs of similar brightness ? just take a look after dark.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I can’t see it being a problem if all the lights are working. Fitment of LED lights can cause this behaviour so that’s worth checking. Iv had cars go straight through with engine warning lights on. Our Ford Ka had the same issue as your car whenever we washed it

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed, bulb failure warning systems aren't a testable item.

A funny tale. Years back when i was with Mrs D mark 2 I had a BMW 7 series (E38 740iL SE, the current model at the time, in fact one of the verymlast of that outgoing version). She was a company director and a bit up herself and took great dismay at my lack of interest in driveway status symbols and susrprised me with the Bimmer.

Anyway, BMW build quality is a myth. Sure, the paint was something else, even the smallest fastener was a top notch item, but the car was for sheet and it was in and out the BMW dealers like a yo yo getting spanked on the warranty.

Anyway, one of the faults was a persistent bulb failure warning for the tail lights. Must've been back 3 times for that alone, when one day driving to work it came up again. Back it went and I threw the keys at them in disgust, only to receive a phonecall later that day informing me thst the car itself was fine and a bulb had actually failed. They even replaced it for free, which eas nice of them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might be worth squirting the bulb contacts with electrical cleaner. Rear numberplate lights would be a good suspect

Thanks folks!!

I can’t see it being a problem if all the lights are working. Fitment of LED lights can cause this behaviour so that’s worth checking. Iv had cars go straight through with engine warning lights on. Our Ford Ka had the same issue as your car whenever we washed it
No LED bulbs

It's very intermittant
I drove to work this morning, after dropping daughter off at her work, then home after work, & it only came on about 200yards from home

Drago

Legendary Member
Also when a bulb goes replace them as a pair. As bulbs age the resistance increases, and the difference between a new bulb and an old one can be enough to make a failure warning system think a bulb has gone south.

'Fail':sad:

Apparantly a front disc is not giving a good reading on the rollers, it's not 'constant'
I do know that, if I'm braking lightly, in slow-moving traffic, or pulling up, there's a slight 'pulsing' felt (almost as if the pressure is being released/applied)
I didn't think it was so bad

Oh well

I've checked through my service documentation, the front discs are only 13,000 miles old, & I'm not a harsh driver
I get accused of acting like I'm driving a hearse by wife/daughter................

I got a courtesy car to come home in, & ought to get mine back this afternoon
On the bright side, that's less money I could spend (or be spent, on my behalf) in Chester this coming weekend:angel:

Not taken today, from a prevous loan, whilst it (or wifes) was being serviced

Last edited:
Top Bottom