MoT Test Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I get really fed up with how fast brake discs wear through - mainly due to standing around for days quietly corroding after heavy rain.

Possibly so, as my car may go 6 days (or more) without being - quite literally - touched, no matter what the weather

'Fail':sad:

Apparantly a front disc is not giving a good reading on the rollers, it's not 'constant'
I do know that, if I'm braking lightly, in slow-moving traffic, or pulling up, there's a slight 'pulsing' felt (almost as if the pressure is being released/applied)
I didn't think it was so bad

Both discs replaced, & pads, which were the same 'age' as the discs

NEVER replace a single disc. boys & girls!!!

Now I've just got to bed them in again

Reactions: gbb

Cerdic

Years ago brake discs lasted much, much longer. 'Course, they were made of steel, not cheese...

Drago

Legendary Member
Years ago brake discs lasted much, much longer. 'Course, they were made of steel, not cheese...
...cars weighed half as much or even less, steel wheels and hub caps protected the disc from the elements when parked...

Im a police class 1 driver from days of yore, and even though I almost alsways buy automatic cars the brakes yend to corrode to death long before I wear them out.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Can’t see it been a problem. HID’s Fiat 500 sometimes says a bulb is out when it’s not, probably a cheap or poor fitted bulb.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
130k miles and I'm still on the original discs ! OK a bit lipped, but they are very thick and smooth - no groves in them. The car was used daily for many years, then 6 years of very little use, then was used daily again since breaking my back, but it's back to not much use now. No heavy braking. New front pads fitted about 2 years ago, although very little use last 12 months.

fossyant

Both discs replaced, & pads, which were the same 'age' as the discs

NEVER replace a single disc. boys & girls!!!

Now I've just got to bed them in again

Oof, just read back, just 13k miles. Are these OEM discs as well. Obviously cheese.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've found the brakes on my car needed less TLC when the I was using it for a ~45 mile round trip commute than they do now that the car sees very little use.

The discs rust, the callipers stick, the self adjust mechanism on the rear drum brakes seize, rear slave cylinders seem to develop leaks. When it was in daily use, none of these things happened.

130k miles and I'm still on the original discs ! OK a bit lipped, but they are very thick and smooth - no groves in them. The car was used daily for many years, then 6 years of very little use, then was used daily again since breaking my back, but it's back to not much use now. No heavy braking. New front pads fitted about 2 years ago, although very little use last 12 months.

I think, without going through the paperwork, that it had the fronts skimmed at about 90 -100.000 (& pads)
Wife covered 100,000 in the first 5 years I owned it, she was travelling to Cardiff, Bristol, Newcastle, Carlisle (& other places) 2- 3 times a week

All 4 discs were changed at 137,000miles... but........ a couple were 'lipped' to the extent that a front caught the pad & made a noise (like a dragging bike-disc)

fossyant

I think, without going through the paperwork, that it had the fronts skimmed at about 90 -100.000 (& pads)
Wife covered 100,000 in the first 5 years I owned it, she was travelling to Cardiff, Bristol, Newcastle, Carlisle (& other places) 2- 3 times a week

All 4 discs were changed at 137,000miles... but........ a couple were 'lipped' to the extent that a front caught the pad & made a noise (like a dragging bike-disc)

Ah that's good going for the originals then.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've found the brakes on my car needed less TLC when the I was using it for a ~45 mile round trip commute than they do now that the car sees very little use.

The discs rust, the callipers stick, the self adjust mechanism on the rear drum brakes seize, rear slave cylinders seem to develop leaks. When it was in daily use, none of these things happened.
Probably so. My Astra now has 70k on it, original pads and discs. Pads are getting close but the discs seem fine, but I'm a steady driver plus the car is in general use all the time. That said, I've always had an occasionally sticky caliper / pad on the back, just occasionally hangs on for a second then frees off.
Vented discs possibly help prevent warping , possibly Richard A's problem up post, vented discs, more meat and structure and better heat dissipation, a very likely cause of warping.

keithmac

Guru
Our last family car was a Focus, had it from practically brand new and still on original pads and discs when we chopped it in at 60 odd thousand miles.

Top Bottom