Motivation required...help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I much prefer riding in a group on routes that are new to me.
Doing the same route repeatedly on my own does become a bit tedious.
The pay off however comes when I do go out in the group again and all my efforts and training seem worthwhile especially when everyone is blowing at the top of a hill and I'm not :laugh: (competitive? Me?)

Gary E

Veteran
Damn, how did that happen?

Boondoggle

Regular
My motivation is probably escape to some degree. I love being out in the countryside with the mp3 player on going at my own pace.

Gary E

Veteran
Generally speaking I struggle to get the motivation to go out when I'm riding alone.
Then, when I have forced myself to go out, I struggle to get into any kind of rhythm for the first few miles and wonder why I bothered.
THEN (usually at about the 4-5 mile point) it all makes sense again and there's no stopping me.
Once I'm into a rhythm I love it, I quite often end up doing far more miles than I originally planned.
It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things. But, just as importantly, we'd all be boring people if we didn't at least give new things a go :thumbsup:
Well done for trying. I genuinely hope that you get the bug (as often happens according to many threads on here) and that you begin to get the enjoyment out of it that I and many others do.

OP
OP
S

Sale Madrid

I suppose it's also preparing ones self for activities to replace activities they are too old to partake in. I'll be too old for certain sports that require a lot of sprinting/stretching one day so if I give cycling a bash now I'll be prepared for the day when I can't do owt else. I might grow into it hopefully. :smile:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I was wondering if anyone had any motivational ideas because although I dislike cycling, I do cycle. I agree, tennis isn't for everyone - people who lack skill/eye to ball coordination can cycle....or swim :-)
i cycle and enjoy it very much, keeps me fit and keep's the weight off - i'm also a single figure handicap golfer

so i have got eye/hand coordination and i can spin and spin and spin and spin..........

never make an assumption that people cant do things that you can do, just cause they choose to do something differently to you

Peteaud

Veteran
I love to get out into the country side, no route as such planned and go down local backlanes. I know the area pretty well but the amount of wildlife about still amazes me.

OP
OP
S

Sale Madrid

Sorry, I was only talking about sport that your opponent has a direct influence on. Golf you are playing yourself.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sorry, I was only talking about sport that your opponent has a direct influence on. Golf you are playing yourself.
incorrect - golf you are playing against the course set-up, weather conditions of the day..............

HovR

Über Member
It sounds to me like you are quite a competitive person (I gather from you being in to other sports such as football and tennis), and perhaps taking a gentle cycle ride may not be quite exciting enough for you.

If we're sticking with road riding, have you considered Time Trialing? Or perhaps competitive racing? Obviously you will still have to go out on training runs, but it would give you something to aim for that may spur you on.

You also mentioned you like more skill based sports, whereas road cycling is more of an endurance sport. Maybe you would enjoy mountain biking? Definitely a whole lot of new skills to be learnt there.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
... or cyclo-cross, where you can show your skills at running uphill through mud with a bike on your shoulder. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom