Motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hutch118

Maye a daft question but what's motivates everyone to go out on their bike.

Obviously we're all different but I suppose the enjoyment, fitness aspect, set goals, friendship with others and a whole host of other things.

What makes everyone go out, what do you think of when your about to head out ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm going somewhere. When I'm just about to head out, the main thought is probably "riding along the A10 cycleway, again?" but I chose to move here. There are far worse places for cycling ;)

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Cyclechat...I have to cycle to work so I can spend hours on cyclechat instead of doing anything productive. Then I have to cycle home so I can spend hours on cyclechat instead of speaking to friends or family. I would just use one computer to do all of my cyclechatting, but I feel that the two I use need a rest from cyclechat from time to time. It's a hard knock life.

Ganymede

Veteran
I just find that I am always trying to work out, when I need to do a journey, if I can do it on my bike, or as a bike/train combo. I have to say I don't usually go out for leisure rides, but if I do I tend to do it on the spur of the moment, or I think "oh it looks nice on Saturday pm and I'm not busy, I'll have a ride". I'm not a long-distance person!

I also am prepared to forgive myself if I can't get out, eg if it's bad weather and I need to arrive looking nice, or whatever.

andyfraser

Über Member
Having somewhere to go is usually what motivates me at this time of year. I commute to work and it's getting very hard to motivate myself at the moment. Once the weather warms up it'll get easier.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Being one of lives optimists I never need motivation to get out on the bike. Cycling chums are like "well it's going to rain" or "40mph headwinds" and I'm always of the opinion of let's just get out there and see how it goes.

I am now at the stage where if I do my normal door to door daily commute of 12 miles instead of an extended one, I am cheating myself and feel peeved.

^^^very much this.
I have lost count of the times in the winter especially, that people I ride with have looked at the weather forecast before a ride and not gone on out and it has not been bad at all.
I enjoy riding and that is all the motivation I need. I look forward to my commute home and always add a bit on to it, the better the weather, the longer the route!

mick160

I've lost all my motivation at the moment. Was great in January, doing over 500km but this month I've done nothing.

I struggle to find time at the weekends with a young family and really haven't had any motivation for evening rides this month!

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
It's sometimes difficult to get motivated at this time of year. You get all your gear on indoors in the warm, then when you finally open the door and venture outside, you are greeted with an icy blast. You think to yourself why am I doing this?
But then you get going and its not that bad at all really! You get home and feel good for going out. That's my motivation....

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
What makes everyone go out, what do you think of when your about to head out ?

The need to get to work or the need to go out for a pleasure ride, depends...

What do I think about? Keep it simple...
Have I got the right gloves?
What direction is the wind coming from Today?

That's about it...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's sometimes difficult to get motivated at this time of year. You get all your gear on indoors in the warm, then when you finally open the door and venture outside, you are greeted with an icy blast. You think to yourself why am I doing this?
The more I read, the more I think this is a big benefit of cycling to go places. I know why I'm doing it: to get somewhere. Wear more/waterproofier clothes and/or ride faster in winter, wear less and/or ride slower in summer. I don't understand why lots of commuters seem to want to wear racing superhero spandex that isn't great for comfort.
But then you get going and its not that bad at all really! You get home and feel good for going out. That's my motivation....
That's always good, along with the other things @Hutch118 mentions ("enjoyment, fitness aspect, set goals, friendship with others and a whole host of other things") which are also good reasons to bike rather than car when you can.

mick160

Too true. The hardest part is getting the gear on and the bike out of the garage. Once I am out I enjoy it.

zaza123

My original motivation was that I got a job close enough to home to tempt me to start cycling so I borrowed a bike to do it thinking I can lose some weight, get fitter and save money. I have now bought my own bike and cycle nearly as far morning and night as I did driving to the old job by finding a crazy circuitous route because I enjoy it so much. When I look in the mirror I think it has paid off. Not just my spare tyre but I look better round my neck, on my face and feel like I walk like a man rather than a chimp these days.

That's motivation enough.

Top Bottom